BFG MT vs BFG AT's, time for new tires! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:25 AM
Wrangler88

BFG MT vs BFG AT\'s, time for new tires!

ok its time again to get some new rubbers and i'm not sure if i should go with the At's r Mt's? right now i'm running At's and love them, but how are the mt's on the road and high way? i could care less about road noise! i just wanna know if they last as long as the At's and how they are n pavement and in snow? since i live in ohio, we mostly got mud and dirt, nothig really deep but the At's fill up with mud fast, just wanna here some reports, thanks, and when are the new MT's KO's comming out? thanks again!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:02 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: BFG MT vs BFG AT\'s, time for new tires!

I have run the BFG MT over the long haul, and worn them out at about 55K on the TJ. They work very well when new, wear is good, we're still using one as a spare. When about 1/2 worn, however, they start to suck on the road, especially the wet pavement. I could catch 3rd gear easily, used to tick the wife off, but felt nice at 35 mph on pavement with the rear end in a slide. Brought me back to the days of horsepower.

For the mud, and general off-road use, the MT's really shine, I highly recommend them. I am also interested in the MT KO, I have heard it has similar traits to the AT KO (rim protection, siping the tread blocks, better corner edges), and will be interested to see what other mods they've made. Maybe the siping will help, it has to, because the MT, when 1/2 worn, absolutly sucks in the slush on the roads.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For any wheeling other than slickrock the ATs are pretty lame. I have 33x12.50 ATs, when aired down to 8 lbs. they do real good (on slickrock sandstone). The whole reason I went to ATs was after about 12 years or so of MTs I got VERY sick of the noise. But, now that the vehicle isn't a daily driver, an MT or better yet, Swampers is the way to go. If you have a soft top and the Jeep is a daily driver go with the ATs, but for hard core wheeling, uh, uh.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:59 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Personally, I don't know what the big deal is with MT's on daily driven vehicles. In a sealed cab, they're barely noticeable (at least until they wear below 1/2 tread), and in a soft-top vehicle, the top makes more noise than tires. The BFG MT is the quietest of the bunch, but I prefer the Cooper Discoverer STT as the miles/$$$ champ. At any rate, my personal theory is that if you see any mud at all, mud tires will be well worth any negative traits you'd see in other areas.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The big deal is that a soft top is loud enough, you combine that with MTs and you are DEAF by the time you drive a couple hours to go wheeling. I have been there, done that for too many years.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 10:16 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I love my BFG MT's!! I was concerned about the road noise when I was deciding to buy, but I had to have some "real" tread, so I settled for the MT's. That was about 6 years ago (3 years in OHIO), and WAS a daily driver. The noise is very easily overcome. The noise is just right. Not too loud. Everybody else seems to notice it. To me, it's just the way the jeep sounds.

I've been back and forth to Ohio a couple times, NC a bunch, once to Tenn. I can't tell you exactly how many miles I have been, but they've been all over!

My only concern is that now I seem to be picking up nails/screws a lot more than I used to. Maybe it's my imagination. I'm interested in getting new tires soon. This year or maybe next year. BFG MT's are already leading the pack. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands, and I'd like to try something different. But I'm afraid of making a bad move.

Pretty happy with my BFG's....

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From my experience, the MTs are great off-road, but not that great on the road, especially when the road has a light coating of snow or hard packed snow.

Tim Kirby

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:11 PM

we have at ko's on the xj, I had at ko's on the yj for 2 days before I totaled it. They are great for the midwest stuff. I've been wheeling with guys that have gy mt/r, and mt, dunlop rover rv's, I've made it through everything they have. They are also good on the road and wear like iron, the ko sidewall is great. A word of advice get them form sears and get the warenty, I killed 3, might have been offroad damage, not sure think it costed me maybe $20 to get them all replaced (not too bad, had to make 2 trips bent a wheel and didn't know it). The mt is good, no personal experiance but have heard good. On the new rig I might throw bfg muds on it, maybe swampers. If you have the dough and a good loud stero the swampers might be a good choice just expect to replace them a lot and no hearing after a long highway drive.
BarrelRoll
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode