Classic Tube or Inline Tube brake lines, wich one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:13 PM
cj7jeep

Classic Tube or Inline Tube brake lines, wich one?

I am ready to buy stainless steel brake lines. Anybody have any experience with either Classic Tube or Inline Tube companies? The prices are close, so it is just a matter of quality between the two. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:27 PM
Veteran

Re: Classic Tube or Inline Tube brake lines, wich one?

I bought the classics when I did mine. They were perfect. Everything fit up just like factory with no hassles.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:54 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Hey, we've done similar mods (except the 350, can't afford it yet). I prefer to get stuff locally, which is why I swapped in longer rubber (over-the-counter) lines. They were $30 each, but are available on a moment's notice. I've also heard of too many reports of the ends blowing off the braided stainless ones. What axles you running?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:28 PM
cj7jeep

JEEPN, good to hear from you. I am running the axles from the 76 Blazer that supplied the sm465/np205. The front is a Dana 44 and the rear is a 12 bolt. Not the biggest and the best, but for mud and sand they should hold up. Another big selling point is i got all of the Blazer parts for $75. I am looking to replace the "hard lines" mainly. Undecided on the lines to axles, have not found any good deals yet. Thanks again for all of the help and info you have given. Have you seen the frame with my new tires, 40" x 17". Maybe those axles won't hold up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-295423-frame-tires.jpg (74.9 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

DAMN! Are those Swamper radials?

You also need the NP205 twinstick setup.

You should do like I did, and just get a roll of bulk tubing (with fittings) from NAPA and a double flaring kit as well. You can bend your own, run them the way you like, and if you need to replace one, it'll cost a lot less. I bought a nice double flaring kit on Ebay for $50, it'll double flare just about any size, and swage fittings as well.

Hey, have you checked the top of the NP205/SM465 adapter for "the crack"? Just curious.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:12 PM
cj7jeep

No crack, i went out and checked it after i read it in one of your old posts. Have all of your twinstick info, haven't found another stick yet. On the brake lines was it pretty easy to double flare them? A guy at the parts store told me that it might be unsafe to do it youself. I think he wanted a sale. The tires are Gumbo Monster Mudders, got them from a guy on the forsale board, pretty good deal. guess it is time to look for a flare kit, you talked me into it. How is the Scrambler doing, have not seen any recent pics lately.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are running wider then stock axles, the rear hard lines in the kit won't fit. See if either one will sell you the CJ kit with out the rear hard lines.

After doing the stainless route, I might have been inclined to do it myself had I to do it again. One thing about the stainless hardlines, they are a b$%ch to double flare if you need too... I bought a good double flaring tool (Rigid) and it was real hard working with the stainless stuff. (My brake setup is not stock...)

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yeah, I forgot about that. Stainless would suck to double flare. I'm working with "normal" tubing.

I had to travel around for 5 weeks while my contract was up for renewal, then Christmas, then I pulled a chest muscle getting wood for the winter. Just coming out of it now, hurt like hell.

I have the new heater for the garage, the funds to complete the Scrambler, and the time to do it in. I'm looking to pick up a new digital camera, can't decide between the Toshiba PDR-M60 or the Fuji Finepix 2400, but will make a decision in a few weeks. I'll document the rest of the buildup then, should have it going by spring.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:37 PM
cj7jeep

Both places said they could swap in the Chevy axle tubing instead of Jeep. Inline said it would cost alittle. After the hearing from you guys i might go with steel tubing and bend and flare it myself. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode