Dana 44 rear wheel bearings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Official Historian

Dana 44 rear wheel bearings

which way are the tapered bearings supposed to be at the wheels? i'm not sure if mine were installed correctly. also is there any advantage to using a seal on each side of the bearings with grease or using one seal and letting the axle oil lube the bearings? i had one go bad because it dried up. they were put in 13 months ago. this just seems like a short life for the bearings.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dana 44 rear wheel bearings

i always like to use 2 seals and use the grease.. that way you know you have something there.. gear lube doesnt always make it out that far.. and if you leak some out.. you up a creek..
the taper should be inwards.. with the larger portion of the bearing on the outward side.. did that make sense??

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:20 PM

almost no rear axles run a seal to keep gear oil away from the wheel bearings.
i've seen D44's tubes machined for that seal (inboard of the bearing) but with nothing there. i wouldn't put one there if it was mine unless i've had a problem with gear oil leaking past the bearing and outer seal (ya know, getting all over your brakes) sometimes it's hard to get that seal not to leak, i use a wire wheel to clean the inside and flat end area of the tube and also the backing plate very good, (then put some sealant there before bolting everything together, (not ot keep oil in, but to keep water out, you find alot of rust around those seals sometimes, which ends up causing a leak)

as for the bearing race taper, the race should be able to stay in the housing, if the taper is the other way, the bearing holds it on the axle when your remove it. (some new bearings, with the race still attached are hard to tell)

i'm thinking along the same lines as you about the NP203 chain needing thinner oil. i think i'm going to just run 80/90W, thanks

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:00 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Do a search on this, I posted to a like subject awhile ago.

I don't remember the years, but some D44's had the greased bearings and some had the oiled bearings. The greased bearings cannot be converted to using oil only, they're not designed for it and will burn up. I have heard of people installing a grease fitting on the outside of the axle tube, and lubing it every few months. The problem here is you can over-lubricate the bearings and burn them up. I'd recommend putting the grease fitting on, but still tearing it down once a year, or every 2 years to lube them up right. I have the oil style bearings in my Scout II D44 rear, and it's got 235,000 miles on it without any problems, well one side does, the other side has maybe 80,000 miles on it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Official Historian

thanks for the replys. i have an m38a1 that has the grease fitting by the wheel and was thinking of doing that with this axle as well. my bearing race stayed in the axle when i pulled the shaft out. the thicker part is toward the differential. is this backwards? i just can't picture what actually holds the axle in.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, it's in right. The outer seal assembly that bolts on holds the axle in.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 10:16 PM

Jeepgod:
"the taper should be inwards.. with the larger portion of the bearing on the outward side.. did that make sense??"

Will:
"my bearing race stayed in the axle when i pulled the shaft out. the thicker part is toward the differential. is this backwards?"

Jaffer sez .... "No, this is not making sense to me!"
.... sounds back asswards ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode