Ignition Coil Upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ignition Coil Upgrade

Would it be possible to wire in an HEI Coil, from an 1985 2.5L motor, into my 88 4,2L jeep?
I already have the ford cap,rotor,etc...
It seems worth a try to me because I have this thing lying around.
It has to be better than the anchient OIL CAN COIL, Right!(I think I have the original, it says AMC on it!)
It is one of those independant of the cap coil types.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in Advance!
KEEP ON JEEPIN!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:12 PM

Re: Ignition Coil Upgrade

I suggest doing what teamrush has been telling us for a while now: get the tfi coil for a ford vehicle i.e. 1995 ford f-350. Since you already have the ford cap and rotor, it is the wide cap, right? anyways I'm sure someone else will jump in and fill in the blanks!

Ben
Wanda,76 cj-5,360,t-18,35's

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is the wide cap, but I really want to try this because I have to save up for a new distributor.
Wont the ignition run on any coil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ignition should run with any coil. But if you want to get the most out of this system, then do it the right way. If money is that big of an issue, go to the local boneyard and find a TFI coil there. They would probably only charge you $5 or so. Take it easy....

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:24 AM
Way Outta Control

Humm... If I've been reading your posts correctly a new high energy coil ain't going to do you much good yet.

You've still got that advance problem to work out. It's still not clear to me if the problem lies in the Distributor or in the timing chain/gears. If you've properly ruled out the timing chain and gears, then the advance problem likely is in the Distributor (advance plate, springs, vacuum diaphram, dist. gear, shaft, bearing, etc.).

It's not a bad idea to plan the project, just don't start it yet.

When ever you have a perplexing problem, find out the reason for the problem and fix it. When you introduce another item in the mix, like the coil, you can introduce problems that you may not be able to fix later on.

You can easily get lost in the upgrades, fixes, modifications and just plain parts replacements and never know where you are or the trail as to how you got there.

I'd suggest you wait til you get that distributor installed before you make more modifications to the ignition system. This is especially true if you're planning on using used parts.

I'd think you'd want to know if the distributor was the problem, and how much reliabiltiy it added.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode