Old faithful (how to obtain reliability ?) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Old faithful (how to obtain reliability ?)

My CJ isn't fun to drive anymore. I find myself driving the ZJ more and more. Some days it won't turn over (turn key and it goes "click" but doesn't turn), and sometimes it'll just die at a stop light. I'm on my 3rd ign. coil and 4th or 5th pcm in one year. One pcm melted and ran down my fender. I think the dying at a red light thing is vapor lock (long lights and Florida heat).

Not to mention the damn thing sounds like a tin pail full of misc. screws and bolts while driving. All kinds of knocks and ticks, and hesitations if I stomp the gas from a red light.

So...what can I do to make this thing more reliable, and fun to drive again?

Thanks y'all!

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/M.O.R.E. shackles and lots of ideas!

Have you kissed your JEEP lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:36 PM
sas87yj

Re: Old faithful (how to obtain reliability ?)

wow! i'm bout ready to cry![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
where do you want to start?
3rd coil and 5th pcm? what the heck is going on here?
you've got too many vague problems for me to answer but i would like to help. honest![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
can you start with one at a time and be more specific?
do you have a GOOD BATTERY?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:59 PM

Myabe a rebuild? Well some things to your problems could be tuning your carb, replacing your ignition system, new motor mounts to make it rattle less, a new starter with a mean grean maybe a whole new starting system, Other things are to replace all the hoses, Use syntetic oil, do you fluid changes reguarly, if you brake lines havn't been replaced maybe replace them, re build everything (steering box and pump, tranny, t-case, axles). Some of this stuff is really expensive rust replace the stuff that is worn out. Cj's are not like a warienteed zj, they require love and counless hours of being cused at in the garage.
BarrelRoll

oh also money

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Re-establish grounds for all of the components, and I mean ALL of the components. Install a network of ground cables connecting the engine and tranny group to the battery and the battery to the back end of the alternator and the battery to the dash and the battery to the frame and the frame to the body and the body to the front fender group.....well, you get the idea. Oh, and all that other stuff that was mentioned too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:06 AM
Way Outta Control

Here's what I did to make the CJ reliable:

1. Establish Priorities. Figure out what is a MUST to be reliable. A rust hole repair dosen't make it reliable (unless it's drastic!) but it takes away resources like time, money, patience, etc. from repairs that need to be made.

Where there's a fire, put it out. When you're not chasing flames... start watching for hotspots and smoke. Where there's smoke... there will be fire.

If you're always chasing flames step back and take a deep breath and think! Cool off a little, you're doing something wrong!

As per my example, in order:

rebuilt engine,
rebuilt starter,
Battery,
rebuilt alternator,
tune up kit,
Electrical functionality,
Fuel Injection .. This maks it reliable. If you're considering a new engine, get a 4.0L MPI and be done with it!
Frame and Body Work,
Rebuilt transmission,

Next comes the:

Axle Hardening,
Transfer case rebuld and clocking,
Front and rear Lockers,
Lift.
Tires.

2. Don't become discouraged. The vehicle is old and likely abused before you got it. Have you ever have an abused kid or dog come to your home? They don't straighten out the first week... you gotta teach them and love them. Why should a Jeep be any different?

3. Establish a budget for parts. Don't ever let the Jeep become a source of anger between you and the better half.

4. Do all the work yourself that you have tools to do, even if it means buying a few extra tools. You can't ever have enough tools.

5. Learn new skills, it pays off. Find a good book on automotive electronics, welding, machining, fabrication. What ever you spend on self education will more than pay for itself in labor that you'd pay someone else who's not near as smart as youself to do the same job. Then you'll have to take it back to him and have it done again because it's not done right.

6. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Pick everyone's brains that you can think of. It's better that you make a mistake, rectify it, and go on than you never do anything. Usally if you do your own work, you can save enough to make a few mistakes every now and then. You'll be surprised at just how few times you do the job wrong, and how many times you do it right.

6. I work alone, because there ain't too many other Jeepres in River Falls. But for most guys I reccomend working with a buddy. Two heads are always better than one. A little synegery and fellowship is great!

7. Plan your work and work your plan. There's nothing more discouraging than to never have a plan. You never can judge how you're doing, where you're going or how you're going to get there. You've got to establish some way to see the forest for the trees.

8. Go SLOW! Don't ever rush a repair. Budget enough down time to do the job right the first time. We've all been there, remember that one bolt that never comes out... it ALWAYS takes half the time to just remove the one bolt!

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First thing you have to remember, you are dealing with an 18 year old vehicle. It is time to either get rid of it or just live with the fact that a lot of time and money are going to go into it in the near future. Over the past 2 years virtually everything in my 85 has either been replaced or rebuilt, and about 4 grand later I have an almost new (and quite upgraded Jeep). LIke was said earlier, prioritize. But face the facts, its time. Do most of the work yourself or trade it off if you can and you will save big bucks. I did the trans, t-case, both axles myself, and got the labor on a motor rebuild and install for free. The only thing I have had to pay for in labor was the steering box, I have saved literally thousands of dollars. Get a good shop manual, and dive in. Like was said above, establish a bseline for everything and work towards it or above it.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only thing that I would like to add is that if you don't have the money to spring for some expensive specilty tools very often you can rent them.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er....ah....yeah.....what Larry said.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:52 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

One of the big things I overlook is how long I've had things. I have a 79 pickup I've had for 10 years. I recently had to put a new battery in it (I've already replaced the battery once.) So I said to myself, "the battery is new, why is it dead???"

It was 8 years old. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Keep track of when you buy things and that helps a lot. My record keeping could be better. As for the jeep just going click - that part of the jeep isn't that complicated.

Is the battery new?
cables? (have the negative go RIGHT TO a starter bolt - not to an intake bolt, or something like that)
switch
starter/solenoid.

That's all there is. It should at least turn over.

I just put a new starter in the ford also. It was only $34.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode