Tranny Removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny Removal

'76 CJ5 304/T150/D20. Everything is unbolted and ready to be removed. Does it take quite a bit to move the tranny/t-case to the rear in order to remove? This is my first time, so I don't want to break/ruin anything?

Thanks.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Removal

It is very heavy. Especially if you are taking them out together. I took mine out with a floor jack last year and almost ruined the bellhousing when the weight of it put pressure on the pivot ball and chiped the place where the ball rides on the bellhousing. I ordered a tranny jack from JCWhitney when I went to put it back in. It was on sale for like $75 dollars and I had been wanting one anyway. If you have someone to help you from inside the jeep it probably wouldn't be to bad. I was alone and it was almost more than I could handle. If you are just wanting to know how much force it takes to get it seperated from the bell housing well mine just came right out once you get the balance right.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:19 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, my older brother thought he had all the bolts out, and decided to pry on it. It didn't easily move, so he attached a come along to the base of the jack. Made sense, since the jack was on uneven ground. It still wouldn't move. He tried wiggling it, even with the strain. Here is where it gets stupid. He hooked the '71 3/4 ton Chevy to the rear yoke, and put it in 1st. Now the SM465 has a nice low ratio, but when he let out the clutch he heard a pop. Turns out he forgot the top 2 bolts, which were hard to see. Snapped the bellhousing off, but it did come out. Oh well, he had a spare. If all the bolts are out and the tranny is supported, it should come off rather easily.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:16 AM
Can't Get Enough

Had mine out last winter. I supportrd the back of the engine with a jack stand and used two floor jacks to take out the tranny and transfercase as one unit. Once the balance was right, it just slid off by hand. Getting it off the jacks is where a buddy comes in handy. Good luck with yours.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:32 AM
Way Outta Control

Try the following if you only have a floor jack...

1. Make up two cables, 10 feet long, using 1/4" metal cable.
On one end secure a connector like on a dog leash.
2. Run the cable around one frame member and fasten it to itself.
3. Run the cable under the transmission, at the rear where it joins the transfer case.
4. Run the cable around the other side frame member and then fasten it to a cheap hoist affixed to the garage wall.
5. Put the jack under the transmission, at the front.
6. Install two 6" threaded rods in the lower bolt holes as guides.
7. Seperate the transmission from the engine.
8. The transmission should be weighted down on the jack and guide rods.
9. Back up the jack.
10. At the same time, lower the rear support cable a little.

Just keep doing this and you can walk the transmission right out onto the floor with a minimial of effort.

The reason I had you make up two cables... use one for the front as a safety cable incase you've done something drastic and the jack slips or one of the guide rods loosens. That way you don't drop the assembly on the floor.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:46 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's out. Thanks for all the advice. I used two threaded rods in the lower bolt holes and some 2x4 inside the cab with bungee cords tightened around the tranny/tcase. I was able to use a floor jack to help slide it backwards on the threaded rods and then released slack on the bungee cords while lowering jack to bring to the ground. Will use the same concept to put in place although I will rent a tranny jack at US Rentals for $16.00 for install.

Thanks again.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode