Carb ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb ???

Hey guys,
Anybody got any experience with either the Holley/Offenhauser combo or the Weber in off-road/off camber area? My CJ-5 has a 258 6 cyl. and I want to upgrade, but I really can't afford the fuel injection thing. It will primarily be for daily transportation and rockcrawling on the weekends, hard to extreme trails.
Thanks,
Mike

'79 CJ5 future rockcrawler.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:49 PM

Re: Carb ???

Consider the swap to a Motorcraft 2100 2bbl carb. It's cheap, easy to do, and improves both idle and power.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had nothing but trouble with the Weber that I put on my 89 YJ 258. Called Weber many times and even sent the carb back to them when the butterfly valve got stuck in the closed position. They told me that all they did was give the flap a good rap with a hammer. (I could have done that.)

The bottom line is that Weber treated me bad and I ended up with $275 worth of scrap metal. I know that others on this BBS love the things but I will never buy another Weber product again just because of the way they treated me. Also, on the box that the carb comes in it says in big letters "No Warranty Whatsoever". From my experience, they mean it.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I appreciate the candor, I went through the same thing with ARB on their old style compressor. Anybody out there running the Holley 390 cfm or the Pro Jection?
Mike

'79 CJ5 future rockcrawler.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:06 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

I had a Offenhauser Dual Port intake and a Holley 390 cfm 4 bbl. carb on my 225 V-6 when I bought the vehicle. After getting it set up correctly, it seemed like a capable carb. I never took the vehicle off-road with that engine. Have since replaced the 225 with a 252 V-6 with Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock Q-Jet carb and it is the best there is for off-road, for a carb. Another choice would be the 500 cfm Carter AFB which is less messy to dial in the jetting. Both the Holley and Carter will require the addition of spring-loaded needle and seats for off-road. Edelbrock Performer carbs are clones of the Carter AFB's. My tune-up guru says the quality control is much better with the Carter's.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 06:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 1980 CJ 258. I replaced the stock carburetor with the Holley 350 cfm, 2 barrell. I had done the TR upgrade, including MSD 6A earlier, liked the results and so then I wanted to try to help mileage since it was mostly terrible. As you note there are lots of opinions here regarding Holley but I had one on an earlier 304 and was quite happy with it. So I ordered a Holley, model 2300 from Summit Racing part# HLY-0-7448 $235.95. In addition I ordered an adaptor plate so that it fit the intake manifold, (can't find the part # but the guy at Summit figured it out for me.) I liked the result immediately. Smooth idle, responsive and best of all much improved fuel mileage. On one of our trips a couple of guys following noticed black smoke under acceleration so when we got home I changed the stock jets (#61's), with smaller jets #59's - a $6.00 investment. Black smoke is gone. I have had no problems what so ever with the carb in off camber/bouncy situations. Hope this helps. John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode