Ode to the 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ode to the 258

Well,today i had a lot of people standing with their jaw dropped watching something they couldnt believe.I, and my brother live up in the mountains in western Maryland,paved county road,and steep enough if it has snow,nothing but 4x4's travel it,and it is about 2 miles from town to our homes.
He was in town when his 85 F150 4x4, 300 6 cyl,4 speed,8' box decided to breakdown (something electrical) didnt know what at the time,he wanted towed home,i was skeptic to try,but you know how a challenge is,so i got out a tow strap and hooked to him and off we went,i had but about 100 yards of flat road before the mountain road,i made it to 20 mph due to traffic,and hit the hill.Needless to say the truck was quite a load,my speed dropped off to about 15 mph,and there it stayed,all the way home..It was about all i could do and if it would have been any heavier,might not have made it,now whats so special about that? I was towing him in low gear, with a 1986 AMC Eagle 4 dr. 258, auto tranny,2x drive,stock gearing.the 258 got down in the grunt rpm's and just wouldnt quit,actually amazing for a "car" without a low range,never heated up,just shrugged it off and went on its merry way.I have had small blocks that didnt do that well..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:48 PM
sas87yj

Re: Ode to the 258

good story![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
let's here it for the little 258!
i'm happy with mine in the little jeep but that's as far as i will take it! it does great for it's purpose!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode