Stuck Parts Trick - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Stuck Parts Trick

Hello Everyone
I am kinda a newbie to the whole Jeep world I have an 86 CJ7, and a newbie do it yourselfer as far as repairs/upgrades go. So my biggest frustration so far has been stuck bolts. So far the only things I have tried so far are heating them up with a torch and the other time I used a liquid wrench product. Anyways I am wondering what all the tips are for stuck bolts//parts. Granted I have yet to try a breaker bar on this bolt. Also my other question is this. I am trying to disconnect those ties that connect the sway bar to my springs. anyways I got both bolts of one side and the pin will slid on the bottom but the top is stuck solid, I have tried beating on it with a hammer but to no avail. Is there some trick? Am I missing something...Anyways any tips/trick to stuck parts is much appreciated, thanks.

_________
|rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stuck Parts Trick

I had the same problems you are having when I put on my lift. The rear spring hanger bolts on all 4 hangers were stuck solid. I had to get a sawzall up in between the hanger and the spring and cut those bastards off. On the sway bar, I had to heat them up with a torch and beat the crap out of the bolts with a 3lb. sledge. I don't think there is a way to get those off without totally destroying the bolt ends in the process. You will probably have to order those from the dealer. Good luck with this one...

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 01:15 PM
I Do This For The Glory

PB Blaster is the ticket, forget the Liquid Wrench. PB is awesome stuff.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 01:25 PM
Veteran

The only way I could remove the links is to remove the sway bar alltogether after the link bottoms were unbolted. Then take a BFH to it with aplomb and it'll move. I actually broke the bolt on the pas. side spring plate. Oh well I don't need the sway bar any way. I can't tell the difference on road but sure can off-road!

'91 YJ, I-6, 3" lift, 31s
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Hey there
I couldnt help but notice you were from maine. I just thought I would mention that I too am a mainer. I recently started an offroad club at the unversity of maine at orono. Where is winter Harbor excatly? Are there any other mainers out there?

_________
|rent
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:26 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Hey there. There are a few other Mainers here, and some I have met on the Chevy BBS as well.

Winter Harbor is easy, there are 2 ways to get here. From you, head south to Bangor, take a left. Drive for an hour and stay on Route 1. You're here!

The second way is just as easy. Follow the same directions, only forget the time restriction. When you hit Lubec, on the Canadian border, turn around and drive back for an hour, and you're here!

If you need them, I have a welder, torches, wrenches, books, and lots of scrap metal. We can do anything! Been around for a little while, don't know it all, but between this BBS, books, and the fact that most of the stuff I work on ain't my own, I feel I can do just about anything. Give me a holler, I'm around most weekends.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can get your hands on some BG enforcer, it always does the trick for me. Its an ion activated super penetrating lube that can get anywhere.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Supposedly Jeep doesent cary those goofy tapered end sway bar bolts (that attach the links to the sway bar) but the catalog that came with my JKS Disconnects says they (JKS) make them. Good luck!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
1991 Cherokee Limited
2000 Durango SLT

If it's tourist season...why can't we shoot 'em?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got those same bolts from a Jeep dealership in Avondale. It took a week to get here from Detroit, but they made it....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tommy B. in AZ -
More Guts than Brains.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its hard to beat an impact wrench for removing bolts. If you don't have an air compressor they make some pretty good electric ones. If you start doing alot of wrenching you will eventually run into something that will have to have one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode