OT-for all of the REPUBLICANS on the board - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:10 AM
Robert87yj

OT-for all of the REPUBLICANS on the board

Found this great site with good political cartoons on it. Check it out.
http://www.conservativenews.org/cart...ve/archive.asp

here is one of the cartoons that caught my eye:

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT-for all of the REPUBLICANS on the board

That cartoon is a good one. In fact the Virtual Jeep Club of AZ has it on the main page of their website! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just curious if any of you have children? If so, then did you see that Bush is proposing to restrict money to schools that aren't measuring up? How will this help if the schools already don't have enough money to teach their children properly? Also, if we use only our own oil and don't import, what happens when we run out? I'm not trying to spit into the wind, but trying to better understand what we are about to invest in.

Fritz (and no, the fourwheel drive is not on me!)

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Are you referring to the "School Vouchers" that have been mentioned? If so, I think they're a great idea. It's about time the public school system started measuring up to the private sector, and it's also high time WE had a choice in the matter, since it's OUR money.

Eventually the world will run out. I think we should be using our own oil, at least partially, so we aren't completely at the whim of OPEC. Look what's happened in the last 2 years, the price of gasoline has risen 80%! Why? Because OPEC owners weren't making enough money, so they decided to do something about it. Meanwhile old folks up here are freezing to death and others have to choose between heat and food. Yes, I know people that have been adversely affected, they (as a couple) make $12,000 a year (I did their taxes), and this region of Maine is so impoverished $6.50 an hour is considered a "good" wage. Yes, there are "credits", "programs", and "help", but they get it out of you one way or another, it isn't free.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:04 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">It's not necessarily the money that's the problem in the schools that aren't measuring up. I would chalk that up mainly to 2 factors. The quality of the teachers and the students' desire to learn. On the other hand it still seems a bit wacky to cut the funds for those schools that aren't measuring up. Now I could understand them earmarking funds for those schools to get better teachers or find better ways to get the students to desire to learn more. If they chose to do things that way instead.

And we can't use all our own oil, we can't produce enough for our demands to stop importing. But the more of ours we use the less we have to rely on the other nations now. Might be a good idea or a bad idea in the future. Time will tell on that one. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

It's been said that the Bush Administration will seek to undo much of Klintun's executive order madness, the monuments at least. That would be great. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Just my $0.02</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Addict

There is no "cutting funding" to schools that don't measure up! That is one the talking points the liberals want you to believe is true. I heard that phrase on every major network interview following Bush's unveiling of the voucher program plan - and every time, it was a liberal that said it! Now the news anchors are saying it like it is a stone hard fact on every broadcast. Nothing could be further from the truth! The fact of the matter is, the voucher program will give the poorest of families in these innercity school districts the choice to send their kids to private schools instead. If they choose not to do so and send them to the public school, the public school will still get the funds of that student that attends there. Each public school gets money from the federal govt according to the number of students they have enrolled. The voucher system will make these troubled districts either improve on their quality and quantity of education - or lose students to those schools that are making progress. Throwing more money in these defunct districts is not the answer - if it were, then the problem would be fixed already! Some of these problem districts get $4500+ per student per SEMESTER already . . . . as opposed to a private school in the same district charging only $2500 per student per YEAR! If more money is the answer, then why does the private school that gets only half the amount per student excell in every area over the public school that gets almost four times as much? If you put in some competition for these funds in the mix, the American public would be surprised at how fast some of these decade delinquent districts turn around. Remember - the federal government would be giving up local dictatorial control over where you HAVE to send you kids to school. It is empowering the citizen to make their own choice for their own kids. It is no wonder that there is alarmist reactions from the liberals on this! This is opposite to the agenda - look forward to more opposition as the time comes to put this on the table for discussion. Watch for the media to put on a show on how these poor inner city schools will be cut X million dollars in federal funds every year. Watch for the media to say that this is discriminatory to the minority community and the poor. Watch for them to say the Republicans want to close down the inner city schools so black children can't get an education at all. Watch for them to say how much the rich will benefit from this. It is almost laughable because they get predictable . . . but I'm not laughing! It is sad that the American people will lose to the liberal lies and smoke in mirrors yet again. The poor and the minorities in these failing districts would benefit the most from this program - and it would put the power of choice in their hands rather than forcing them to continue to be subserviant to a failing system!

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Robert87yj

Well, Crap...
I thought you guys would enjoy the political cartoons, but you've turned it into a political debate.
No, I don't have kids. The reason why private schools have a better education system is because there are less ties to the government bueracats that are causing our public schools to fail in the first place.

Just my $0.02

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Even though this is way OT, I still have to put my 2cents in on education. Our public schools ahave failed us miserably, IMO we shouldn't be throwing good money after bad into something that just plain doesn't work. We started homeschooling our kids 3 years ago, we KNOW they are getting a good education and being taught the proper values, not the values of some liberal tree hugger teacher or a bunch of gang bangers. Until public education can get it right, there is no sense in funding it, and I'm keeping my kids at home! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I attended a Private school for five years and go to a public school now. From my experience, the Teachers and Teacher's Unions are the problem. Most of my teachers have a degree in Education, a degree that actually teaches you NOTHING! The emphasis on education nowadays is this touchy-feely, "Concept understanding", crap. Instead of learning the Trigonometric ratios in Geometry last year, I learned how Geometry is connected to many different ocupations. WOW, now that I know that gardeners DO use Geometry, I can be a succesful Mechanical Engineer!

The public school system is crap. Plain and simple. I think that the way to fix it is to spend more money on hiring better teachers, i.e. People that have gotten a degree in what they teach, not on in how to teach. A good teacher can teach a student facts, and how to like those facts. The curriculum is based on making up for the shortcomings of teachers. However, teachers should be able to teach without a set curriculum, they should be allowed to make their own decisions.

Anyway, how did this get onto education, The original message is a drawing? I'm not complaining just wondering.

Ed

'99 Chevy Silverado K2500, 6.0, 285 Maxxis Mudders
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Typical OT wandering thread.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode