help buying a wrangler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help buying a wrangler

because of many different changes that my life is undergoing, i need to buy another vehicle. and i thought why not a wrangler. now i need to know what to look for. i want a slightly used one so heres what i kinda want, the advice i need is what kind of prices should i expect.

about 5 years old.

five speed.

four banger.

soft or hard top (not to pickie).

unmodified(i want it for a daily driver and i want to do any mods on it)

need some advice.

Go off-road and stay there BABY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:04 PM
sas87yj

Re: help buying a wrangler

i'd think hard about the 4cyl! why not the 6? especially if you go big tires you'll need the power. i am a power freak anyway and the 6 is barely enough already![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
bluebook for a 95 stock 4cyl is around $10,000. now that is dealer price----- forget about it. i would think one in good shape could be had for around 7 or 8 max. i'd go with 6cyl and ac-will cost you more though. back up to $10000 now!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:15 PM

For referance my '95 w/ 4.0, auto, soft top, ac, 70k, no mods was 10k (in chicago). The dealer had it listed for 12,300 the dealer offical "black" book had it for 12,600, talked them down, if you do any highway driving I'd get the 6 I've been on trips w/ the 4 banger yj's they can't do above 65 with out red lining it.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

personally.. i think you would have to be out of your mind to buy a yj when you could get a 97 tj for just a bit more. especially for a daily driver. the 4.0 is a great engine, and it comes with a stronger tranny..but they cost a lot more...the 4 and 6 cylinders get almost the same milage..oh yeah....tj's have those nice round headlights too....

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

trust me i like muscle too, because i own two grand wagoneers both with 360's.(insert tim allen grunts here)

i have to move to a new location and the gas milage will eat me alive in the wags. i guessedamated the price to be around $200.00+ a month. although the six is not out of the question. i dont plan on doing any hard core wheelin in the wrangler(no booing please) i need a daily driver for now. i have the wags for thrashin and bashin.

Go off-road and stay there BABY
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ride in a yj.. then a tj.. feel the ride quality...if you spend a lot of time in the saddle...the decision is easy..not that i hate yj's....i just like tj's...if i wanna get the stagecoach ride, I'll drive a cj. tyhe tj's also have a better top that easily folds down.. i have seen lots of 97 tj's for under $10k....

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:14 AM

the 2.5L gets only slightly better fuel mileage than a 4.0L. Worse mileage during fast-speed trips. '95 Wranglers have the larger 297X front U-joints....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 09:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Some from http://www.unclehenrys.com/, a local swap and sell it guide.
<font color=blue>
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport edition, 6cyl, 4.0L, forest green w/tan hard top, soft top acces, cd player, 78k, exc. cond, must see. $10,500 -Contact Information- Farmington, ME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1997 Jeep Wrangler blk. soft top, lg. wheels, new stereo, cd, 4wd, low miles, 5spd. $11,900 -Contact Information- Sidney, ME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1995 Jeep Wrangler 119k 4cyl 5spd black w/black soft top grey int. $6,850 firm. -Contact Information- Casco, ME

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande Edt. 4WD, 5spd, both hard and soft tops, 78K, new paint job, runs great, must see. $9,995. -Contact Information- Gray, ME

1993 Jeep Wrangler 90k 6cyl 5spd red 31 tires, 3 tops sound bar cassette 3 lift 2 sets of doors sport rims blue book 9700 asking $8,700 or bo. -Contact Information- Portland, ME
</font color=blue>

Alto try http://www.autotrader.com, I did a search, and most '97 Wranglers were in the $8-$10K range, while the '95's were in the $6-$8K range. It'll also list their mileage from you.

I agree with the 6 cyl over the 4 cyl post, get the 6 cyl. You'll enjoy it a lot more and the 4 cyl only gets 1-2 mpg better mileage, not enough to make me switch. Our '97 TJ gets 18 around town, and about 20mpg on the highway, stock with 31's. The ride is also awesome.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode