Swapping out 258 for a 360 ..Advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 04:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swapping out 258 for a 360 ..Advice

I am having a friend swap out my well done 258 for his AMC 360. I have the T-176 manual tranny which is a direct bolt on, but I am not sure if the clutch/flywheel from my 258 will work with the 360??. The motor is coming out of a '76 wagoneer which has an automatic transmission BW1305. Also I have an '86 CJ-7 with a 258.. I know I will need at least a 3 core radiator but I am not sure if that is what I currently have. Also, are the motor mounts from the '76 wagoneer or the motor mounts from my 258 compatible for a 360?? Is this a good time to buy anything for the engine/other while we have it out (the 360). Is there anything else I should be concerned with as far as buying parts in between the swaps? I am assuming that the input shafts will be different lengths, but other than that what else has to be modified? Any ideas on what to do about the exhaust, BTW, I live in CT
Thank you guys for any and all help on this one
Happy New Year,
jesse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: Swapping out 258 for a 360 ..Advice

I'm finishing this same swap right now. Invest in some good quality motor mounts. It will make your job easier. I got mine from M.O.R.E. You'll also need at least a 3-core radiator for the V-8, along with the proper shroud. I changed my clutch to an 11" from the 10 1/2" stock. I also changed the tranny mounts to polyurethane to help keep it from twisting. I don't know anything about modifying the input shafts. Did I miss something?
It's more work than you think to do it right, but it's worth it in the end!

'86 CJ-7, 360, T-176, Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30, 4" Superlift, Slickrock hangers, Currie steering brace, JKS discos, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i on Durango bumpers.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 07:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. the most important thing you will need is a flywheel.. the 258's is nuetrally balanced.. and it wont work with that 360.. need a new pilot bushing.. the clutch will work.. but you need a flywheel.. best bet for exhaust is to use the stock manifolds that are on the 360.. and run dual pipe.. down the inside of the frame and out the back corners..
you can use the 258 engine mounts.. with some slight grinding on the passenger side i think.. the wagoneers wont work.. but you could try using one from each of them.. i have a wagoneer mount on one side.. and a jeep 4 cyl mount on the other.. to keep the engine center.. i would try to find some cj v8 mounts some where.. you dont need the m.o.r.e. ones.. go to the junkyard.. or try to find som jeeper with a set.. if you are at a lost.. try the dealer.. youd be surprised at what they sell and some of its not bad price..
i used my stock radiator from my 258.. and it cools my 401 just fine.. its a 3 core.. when referring to the core's.. they are the rows in the radiator.. looking down thru the cap.. you will see 3 rows of them.. 3 core.. those little thin bars running from the top to bottom..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 07:59 PM

you have to have a specific 360 flywheel, or one balanced to 360 specs. it took me a while to find one. they are $250 new

the exhaust might be a bear, if you have a mechanical clutch I think the Wagoneer manifolds are both rear dump, so the drivers side will interefere with the clutch linkage ( CJ V8 factory manifolds are driverside center drop)
you might have to use after market headers or look for some used manifolkds ( shouldnt be too hard to find used stock manifolkds)

the factory mounts can be found for not too much $$, I dont know what MORE's version costs, but they wouldnt be too hard to fab from scratch either.

I dont understand your question about hte input shaft length, use the same bellhousing from your 258 with your 360 and it wont be an issue right?

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will need V8 CJ motor mounts, the steel piece that bolts to the engine. You should also get a right side frame mount, but I think the 6 cyl part will work with the holes slotted. I compared my 6 cyl frame mount to the V8 frame mount, and they look almost identical. These parts are still available from the dealership. I am not sure how much the MORE mounts cost, but I don't think that they would cost very much more than new stock pieces, and if I had to do it again, I would go with the MORE mounts. The stock 6 cyl 3 row radiator cooled my 401 just fine, but I upgraded to a 4 row radiator when I destroyed my stock radiator, and you will need to find a 360 flywheel, or I believe you can get your 6 cyl flywheel balanced to 360 specs.

Thanks, Ray

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

my stock wagoneer manifolds didnt interfere with my clutch linkage.. one is bent down alittle more than the other.. but it works fine..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Addict

Go to this link to see a 360 swap guide I put together and posted awhile back:

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...25&Old=6months

Good Luck,

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode