NEW WIRING HARNESS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

NEW WIRING HARNESS

I am considering redoing all the wiring in my '80 CJ-7. I have been looking at different types of replacement harnesses and would like to know what type is the easiest to install since I've never attempted to wire up more than a radio, and some lights.
What is involved, and is this a one, two, three... weekend project?

Any helpful hints or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CJ-7 Sooner

CJ7 Sooner
BOOMER SOONER, BOOMER SOONER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NEW WIRING HARNESS

?

CJ7 Sooner
BOOMER SOONER, BOOMER SOONER!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I used the Centech harness on my '78 CJ5 with a 'glass tub. I used it mainly because of the extra ground included in the harness. This eleminated most of my grounding issues. I still have issues I need to work out, but for the most part it is a straight forward swap. Replacing the whole harness is a lot easier than just adding to an existing harness. Any aftermarket harness is going to be a pretty simple install. Very little needs to be soldered or even customized. Most of it has to do with what ever options your jeep has or hasn't got.

My only complaint with the Centech harness is with the fusebox. Centech uses a fuse panel. It looks like a circuit board with fuses on it. They claim that it is rugged, but it sure looks fragile. I haven't had an issue with it....yet.

Just plan about twice the amount of time you really think it would take, and go for it. Take your time, read the instructions....... you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:21 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I forgot to add that the Centech harness does NOT include new wires from the ignition module to the distributor.These were some of the main wires that I wanted to replace. For now I'm running with the wires that were on it. But I'm on the hunt for a new harness (for the module). Just something to consider. If you are replacing the harness because your's has been butchered under the hood, you might be better off just patching up the one you have.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:04 PM

Jason how is it in Norman,, got enough snow yet? Sorry can't help on the wiring harness. Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Boomer (long time ago)
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Old Hand

I used the Painless Wiring complete kit #10110 on my '83 CJ-7. It doesnt have any of the wiring for the computer,
I was using GM HEI distributor so it hooked up easy. No problems with the harness yet, and Summit Racing by far had the best price on it when I ordered last summer..

Mark

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode