which gear oil to use? "in Transfercase" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

which gear oil to use? \"in Transfercase\"

Happy New Year to all,
my first project of the year will be to install my Dual-Transfercase @http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/2transfercase.html
i've posted about this setup few times, but basically i'm using the low range section of a NP203 (which is designed to run on 10w30 or 10w40) and a Dana 20 (uses 80/90w) i did not put a seal between the 2 gearboxes so they will be able to pass fluids through the bearings. (i can't guess how much or which way, so i installed a "Transfer Tube" twards the bottom of each case so the fluid levels can equalize, if one is pumping into the other)
so, since i'm only using the front section of the NP203 (a couple big gears with input/output shafts) and i'm not using the main body, chain or tail housing with the "Differential" in it, i think 80/90W might be best. but i'm might be swaying that way because it doesn't leak as easy as engine oil[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: which gear oil to use? \"in Transfercase\"

I think you have the right idea with the gear oil. But what about a gear oil that covers a bigger range, like 75-90W.
Larry

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I use nothing but royal purple synthenic gear lube in the tcase and rears in the cj. I have seen how good it works. The shop that does my welding and rears for me used it to put a rear together. They gave the rear to the owner and told them to put gear oil in it and break it in. Well they broke it in, drove for 5 miles, but never put oil in it. The only bearing to get any damage was the pinion bearing. After seeing that i was hooked. It is about 10 bucks a quart and if the seals and gaskets are old will leak like a waterfall for a while (until the oil softens the rubber and cork). It has been in the cj since feb. leaked until about june and i havent added any since then. This stuff is thin and very sticky. Good luck

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:41 PM
Official Historian

it's my understanding that the chain is what requires the thinner oil. since you are not using the chain, the thicker oil should be ok for the 203 reduction unit.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode