Your New Years Resolution: - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Your New Years Resolution:

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here is a darn good New Years Resolution for you Jeeping Jeepers: "I resolve to fab up a tire-matching fixture and to frequently match the tires by adding or subtracting air so that the turns per mile are exactly the same; and so that my differentials will not be worn out before their time."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Your New Years Resolution:

Gee, Dave, I know you've covered this multiple times here, but I can't recall seeing a description of a tire matching fixture. I guess I'll do a search later.

Meanwhile, my resolutions are a bit less specific:

1. Write LEVE a thank-you e-mail for all the help and good advice he offered me last year.

2. Be thankful the CJ gas gauge shows empty when the tank has 1/4 of the fuel left, and not vice versa.

3. Do not start to rely on the generous reserve the gas gauge gives me.

4. Stop saving the boxes from 4WD, Quadratech, Collins Bros etc. They are piling up and the wife will get suspicious sooner or later.

Let me take this opportunity to wish all on this board a happy, prosperous and productive new year.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:09 AM

new years resolutions? Hmmmm, (i've already quit drinking and smoking & chewing tobacco)

CJDave, the instructions that come with "Detroit Lockers" talk about how important running the same size tires are.
it tells you to measure from the exact center of the tire/wheel to the ground, and keep them the same.
now a short story:
i swapped on my set of non-street legal tire/wheels the other day and went for a drive. And the front end was really yanking left/right alot, i stopped and made sure my lug nuts were tight, (then a few miles later i even stopped and hi-lifted the front end of the ground and checked the wheel bearings and kingpins) then i had a brainstorm, tire pressure[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] left rear was about 5 psi and right was something like 25 psi. i stopped at a gas station and got some air and WOW, steering problem solved, (oh ya, it also looked pretty flat, Duh)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

while typing this i had a real idea,
some how modify anti-lock brake sensors to to fit your axle shafts, then convert there signal to a measurable frequency (RPM) that can be monitored on guages while drive)
kind of makes me go Hmmmmm.............

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My New Year's Resolution is to read through all the pages and pages of posts on this board from Dec 99 to present. I read an old post that said it took one guy 2-3 hours a day for a few months to read through it all. What the heck am I doing typing this ... I've got reading to do!

Thanks to all you folks who take the time to share your wisdom. It is definitely being read!

DesertRat

90 YJ, 258 I6. Weber 32/36, the rest is stock Sahara.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 3/8" X 2-1/2" trim board about 30" long. Cut a vertical slot in it about 6" long so you can have a bolt sticking through with a nice wingnut or a shifter knob on the back. Make a pecker which rides up and down with the bolt, and has a projection that will reach out and set on the top edge of the metal rim of the wheel. Make a little thin foot that helps to center the stick under the lower edge of the tire. Then set the fixture next to the tire and adjust the pecker to just touch the wheel. Match the rest of the tires to the one you have selected as being just right.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 11:02 AM
Can't Get Enough

My jeeping resolutions include finishing the rear tire carrier, doing the full cage, doing some rocker protection, and maybe, just maybe do a U-Bolt reversal for more clearance.

I also have a goal to actually wheel the jeep without the top on THIS YEAR.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Big Game
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave-

I actually guessed you would probably post the info.

But I was NOT gonna ask you to, since I would hate to look too lazy to do a simple search. Anyway, I posted the comment above literally on my way to load the rig for a two day business trip, so the search was left til tonight.

And now you've saved me the trouble. I'll fabricate the thing this weekend.

The incredible generosity on this board in terms of time and patient advice sharing experience is something that always heartens me.

Thanks, Dave.

<font color=blue>45-auto
Bone stock '81 CJ7.</font color=blue>
"You can always see it coming. But you can never stop it."
-- Cowboy Junkies.

http://www.televar.com/~bthomas/index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:41 PM

My New Years resolution?

#1- Get the Postal Jeep fixed up and sold by the time I leave for the Coast Guard in March.

#2- Get the Wrangler back in operation by the same time... and hopefully take it 4-wheeling!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:18 AM
Wrangler88

well well, a new year, only less than 12 more months until christmas comes along again and makes us all poor, but with that in mind, my new years resolution for 2001 is..

#1 get new 2.5" skyjacker lift kit
#2 Trailmaster SSV Shocks for that kit
#3 Powertrax "No SLip" for the Dana 35
#4 Detroit Truetrac for the Dana 30
#5 32" BFG At's or MT, probabaly stick with the AT's
#6 Finish Wiring my CB and 9 foot whip antenna
#7 5 black RockCrawler Rims

well so thats my new years resolution i'm gonna try to get all that before the end of may when its starts to get warm and the top can go down for a while here in northeastern OHio and maybe meet some of the the nice jeepers on the board at setting up a group to go to the Paragon Adventure park or maybe out to wellsville ohio for a few days of wheeling, but winters still here and theres alot of wrenchin before may to do, and oh yeah i should probably spend sometime with jeep chic, i think shes suspecting i'm cheating oh her with the jeep, but nobody tell her or she won't let my go out to garage anymore by myself... have a good one boys!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:19 AM
Weakenedmchnix

Mine is to get back on track with the Jeep. I had a little baby girl this year which knocked me back about a year on my Jeep-grades. Here's the plan

1. Finally fix my T-case
2. Strenghten my D35c by installing Superior's axle upgrade w/lockers
3. Go 4-wheeling a bunch.
4. Roll Cage.
5. See 3.
6. Duraback the interior.
7. Stubby bumper.
8. See 3 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
9. If $$ permits, WINCH.

...Just off the top of my head.
Paulee

'94 YJ Pro-Comp Coil-over kit. 33's
....and a cranky T-case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode