left front wheel clicking-bearings? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:30 AM
sas87yj

left front wheel clicking-bearings?

i heard the clicking while off-road yesterday. got it in the air right now and the left front wheel "clicks" when spinning by hand. the right front is quiet. wheel has no play. "clicking" is kind of like a roulette wheel! not real loud but i heard it while driving. i have never greased the wheel bearings and wonder if that is the prob. anybody have advice?
thanks in advance[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
oh also, if i dismantle down to the inner and outer bearings to grease, do you have to replace the seals?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 09:23 AM
sas87yj

Re: left front wheel clicking-bearings?

ok, after reading the chiltons-it says:
"the hub and bearings are usually replaced as a unit.the hub and bearing carrier may, however, be disassembled and the bearings replaced as a set. once the hub and bearing carrier have been separated, the bearings should not be reused. if the carrier was separated from the hub, make sure you install a new carrier seal and inner bearing seal"

back to the drawing board! i might just be hearing a normal noise coming from the differential? i can't pinpoint the noise-bearing area or diff.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Certainly sounds like the wheel bearing could be the culprit. If they have never been greased they could just be wearing out. If so, you'd probalby find small metal shaving in the grease that is still remaining in the hub. Another thing to check is the axle u-joint...they can cause the same symptoms as you described. Might not be the problem either, but something that is easy enough to check.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:22 AM
sas87yj

thanks digger!
i will take apart and replace both bearings/seals. also will check axle u-joint at same time.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

should think you could eliminate the front axle u-joint and any carrier or differential problem by having the hubs in the unlocked postion. That way when you spin the tire/wheel/hub it reduces the parts spinning to just the hub/bearings/brake pieces. Also look at the "Anti-rattle" spring located on the lower end of the inbord brakeshoe. If you take the brake pads off be certain to look carefully at the way this spring comes off, easy to get it in backwards later. If you remove the wheel bearings to pack them be sure to replace the grease seals. Also, if you intend to have this service last a while you might want to look at (and lube) the spindle bearings, an often neglected item. To get to the spindle bearings you need to remove the spindles and look at the inside of them to find these bearings. Then upon re-assembly tighten the lock nuts to specs.

This information I provided is applicable to my 1980 cj and may or may not be the same as your Jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:33 PM
sas87yj

thanks john-yeah i'm spinning with the front un-locked. check on the anti-rattle spring. called on the bearings-$9.29 ea and the 3 seals vary $7.29-$19.99. didn't know about the spindle bearings and the torque is 175 ft lbs per chilton.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 01:58 PM

You have the stock hubs,,,, well they are a pressed unit and most places will not try to remove the bearings fron the hub. Thats why they sell as a unit, not to say it can't be done. But your problem is probably in the front axle u-joint. I had the same clicking sound and when i looked at the u-joint while turning the tire I found what my problem was. The axle turns with the tire at all times on the YJ. I replaced the u-joint and problem solved.
GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:36 PM
Carey

If that is the stock front axle, Dana 30 disconnect, on a 87 YJ you can't unlock the drivers side wheel from the axle shaft. The disconnect is on the passenger side. I would check that axle u-joint. Even if it is the hub, while you have it all apart I would replace that U-joint ($12) anyhow so it doesn't break and take the ears off the axle yokes leaving you stranded in the woods.
As for replacing the wheel bearings in the hub, your time is worth something. When I had my YJ the bearings and seals, which by the way are pressed into the hub, cost around $80 for all the parts while the complete hub already pregreased and sealed only cost about $100. The dana 30 disconnect front axle does not have spindles like a CJ Dana 30. It is incorporated in the hub assembly as a unit. The hub rides inside the bearing carrier instead of on a spindle like CJ's and larger front axles. The outer axle slips directly inside the hub itself which is splined, rather than going through a spindle into a lock out. In fact if the bearings are still good the hub will probably not come out of the bearing carrier. Use lots of penetrating oil on the hub and bolts if it has never been out before because it will be rusted into place. Be sure to clean up the bearing seat in the knuckle and put a coat of grease in there when you reinstall the hub. Remember almost all of the bolts on the YJ front hubs and brakes are metric, some are 12pt. metric, so don't make the mistakes I have in the past and round them off trying to use SAE tools.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 06:22 PM
sas87yj

thanks gp'n!
thanks carey!
you guys have really helped! i called on the complete hub w/bearings and was $138 at pep boys or checkers. i figure 2 bearings and 3 seals would be around $55. i will double check prices. i looked at the u-joint and of course it looks fine. it's not sloppy or falling apart.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My front wheels do a clicking thing for a while once I've shifted out of 4wd. They did it back in 1990 when the beast was brand new, too. Sounds like bearings clicking, but I thought it was normal since it did it when brand new. Still does it sometimes after I've shifted back to 2wd. Does this mean I've had problems since year one?

DesertRat

90 YJ, 258 I6. Weber 32/36, the rest is stock Sahara.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode