full cage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

full cage

After watching a stock yj sitting on his roof get turned back over (i will post the pics later) and almost putting mine over the top. I think it is time for the cage. I was going to do the rears first but now the cage is going to come first. Here are my questions... Where did your front hoops come from? Is there someone out there selling full cages complete, welded and ready to go? I want to keep the dash pad. Is it possible? I am willing to cut it. Any other suggestions or comments send it on. This is something i want to do very soon.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: full cage

Smittybilt and Kentrol make weld in front hoops any big jeep mail order for about $100. Tie-in kits are extra or you can fab your own. There are some very nice custom cages available on the net but shipping would be outrageous if even possible. If I find any of the custom sites I'll repost. Weld-in kit professionally done is probably the best bet. Talk to some welding shops in your area. Hope that helped.

K-16
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Several months ago I had a Smittybilt one done for the front hoop and spreaders, retained the main stock hoop, and cut off the rear supports and had new ones bent like early 90s YJ. The whole thing installed only cost a couple hundred bucks.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 06:25 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would like to add that they sell the front bar bent around the dash pad or straight if you don't have the pad.
They have to call it a "Sport Bar" for legal reasons. Hope some of the guys post some pics of their roll bars.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 06:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

While y'all are at it.... Can you suggest how to tie in a full cage on a 'glass body? I just got the body done, it's going to be a while. But I'd like as much information as I can get.

Thanks.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 06:40 PM

A full cage is definetally a good idea, when I rolled my '95 yj if i didn't have the almost full cage I would probably be dead or atleast have a windshield in my head right now. If you decide to swap in a yj cage definetally get a front hoop kit. I know more offers cage kits along w/ smittybuilt. Even people w/ yj's a front cage is a good idea.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've posted this before, but here it is again. Smittybilt front hoop (with padded dash) and spreaders, stock main hoop, custom bent back supports.

Brad
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditto on the almost dead or windshield frame tattoo on forehead. I've also seen front hoops that tie in to the dash. The important thing to remeber is this is not the place to learn to weld. Make sure you have this done by someone who knows what they are doing if you don't.

K-16
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the pic. That is pretty much what i had in mind. I am going to do the extra hoops in the back but leave the stock ones also. Do you have and problems getting in with the bend for the dash pad. I am only 5ft4in so i sit really close.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front hoop hugs the dash pretty close. The only interference was with the glove box, I just moved the lid and catch over about a half inch. I put the spreaders towards the middle because I'm 6 feet and didn't want to be hitting my head. But, in retrospect, I think I'll add 2 more spreaders at the outside, even though most rolls in the wheeling around here are at about a half mile an hour. BTW, I didn't tie mine in to the frame, it is just reinforced at the body, a couple club members have had body problems with frame tie ins due to the extreme flex in rock crawling. They have put cracks in their tubs.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode