Spun a bearing (I think) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spun a bearing (I think)

Well looks like I spun a bearing in the plow jeep. While plowing this morning, it developed a rap and seems to have lost some oil pressure. After sitting for a while today and restarting the rap isn't too bad, but I think if I let it run and the oil thins out it'll be the same... So, the question is: rod or main bearing?

A friend says to run some synthetic to baby it along (I have no plans on rebuilding the iron duke 4 cyl) and it should make it through the winter. Of course that doesn't guarantee that I won't finally break the rusting frame in half with a few more of these 12" snow storms!

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 09:27 AM

Re: Spun a bearing (I think)

It's been my experience that when a bearing is spun on the crank, the engine siezes up. WHat actually happens is 1 of the bearing shells slips under the other one. This pretty much wedges either the rod or crank to the point of no rotation.
Bob in Ma

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Bob. Ideas then on what would be the cause of the rap? It is definitely worse when the engine has a load on it or the rpms are up...

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:57 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Hey, where abouts in NH are you? Are you just going to replace the 151? I know a friend that has one, maybe he'll part with it. Then again, the 4.3 Chevy will bolt right on.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:14 PM
chasejeep7

Do you have the Iron Duke, or the AMC 150?? Sometimes people didn't know AMC had a 2.5.

Sounds like you have a spun bearing on the crank. Mine went out last winter. The engine doesn't cease up right away when it's spun on the crank or the rod bearing. It's when you continue to run it for awhile. That's when oil stops getting to the cylinder cooling shafts and the whole thing heats up to warp out of shape and then you're SNAFU.

The same thing happened -- the rapping, but still running, and oil pressure drop. I just have the "idiot light" dash, so when that light came on and I lost some power I was 40 miles from home thinking "Can I make it??" I did, but worried that my engine was done with. I found by varying my rpms, the light would go on and off. I'd start slow and gradually run higher and higher. Every ten minutes I'd have to turn it off. But I got it home.

My AMC 150 had 356K in the MJ when everything just finally wore to nothing. I pulled it apart to find that the 4th crank bearing had spun, and the other weren't too far behind. Had it rebuilt, but the rod bearings looked like they were better than the crank's, so I'm guessing your crank has spun.

Bob, I've never seen that, but I'm sure it's possible. My bearing halves just spun about 10 degrees since the little teeth were worn flat. The porthole for the oil that used to line up with the hole in the crankcase was shut off so no oil was in that cylinder.

I got 40 more miles out of mine. The block was rebuildable -- and I did have that done. I don't know how much more I'd run yours. The 4.3 is so tempting . . .

See Jayme ASAP
<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In Mont Vernon, NH. The plow jeep isn't worth rebuilding the engine. This thing saw much of its life on the coast in CT. Every time I plow, I find more metal scale on the ground. Every (I mean every) place that sheetmetal could be rivited to the body already has and that is all rusting through. One of these times, it'll get shorter when I hit the snow pile...

I think we are just going to run it until it dies (siezes) and then part it out.
That 4.3 is staying in the play jeep![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Once dead, I'll probably part it out. Then buy a tractor (bought 24 acres, just cleared 8 of it so I have a good need for a real tractor) and clear the driveway with it.

If a running 151 came along really cheap, I might consider going that route, but I hate working on this jeep. Never get under it with out lots of eye protection!

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am pretty sure it is the iron duke. I am going to try the synthetic route to see if I can baby it through the winter. If so, greeat! If not, oh well.... I won't loose much sleep over it.

So you just described what I experienced. A spun bearing...

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:04 PM

I live in Western Massachusettes, and have a spare 258 from my Scrambler project. You can have it for free if it will help you out.
Bob in Ma

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 04:04 PM

I live in Western Massachusettes, and have a spare 258 from my Scrambler project. You can have it for free if it will help you out.
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode