Dang Ohio Drivers (Long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Dang Ohio Drivers (Long)

Friday night I was taking my daughter to the movies in my 80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep. It had snowed less than 1/2 inch of snow and it was still coming down in a fine powder. I approached the south end of a two lane bridge over a small creek when a Chrysler Sebring entered the north end of the bridge going about 20MPH. The 19 year old driver decided that she was going too fast so she hit the brakes when she got on the bridge. She executed a beautiful right turn into the guard rail! She then starts a very nice clockwise spin down the bridge. At this point I knew I had a problem, I had a guardrail on my right side and traffic behind me. I sat there hoping she would hit the guardrail with the back of her car when she passed 90 degrees, nope. Well, maybe she would stay on her side of the bridge when see got to 180 degrees? No such luck, she had started to drift into my lane!

At this point I thought "this is going to hurt". I told my daughter to hold on. As the Sebring got to 270 degrees, she hit the front of FrankenJeep on the driver's side. she then wrapped around my tire and ended up against my nerf bar. After thing stopped moving, my daughter had some chest pains from the sholder belt, whiplash of the neck, and lots oof sore muscles. I had bumped my knee against the full door. I had my daughter checked out by the local hospital and no damage except for strained muscles, thank God.

FrankenJeep wasn't quite so lucky. The hit shoved the drivers side frame rail back and slightly up. The fiberglass fender had broken in two places over the tire and the top of the fender had made a small buckle in the front corner of the YJ tub (so much for weak fiberglass fenders). The fender flare broke in two at one of the breakes in the fender. My DJ-5 bumper bent back about 60 degrees out side the frame rail. I don't think I will be adding any more stiffeners to it this winter as I had planned.

I had stalled the engine when I relized tha we were going to hit so the radiator was pushed into a stopped fan, bending at least one fan blade and scraping the paint on the radiator. The only other damage was a bent radiator support rod. All in all not too bad for a 15-20 MPH crash. I guess that I will have to cancel my Rhinoliner appointment that my wife gave me for xmas.

Now comes the real hard parts:

1. How to convince the insurance companies that a rust free 80 CJ-7 with non-stock mods is worth more than the damage? I have done some web searches looking for 80-81 CJs that are for sale so that I can show what it's worth ($5,000 invested to date.) If any of you have adds that might help, please e-mail them to me.

2. Now for the really hard part, I have to convince my wife that it's worth my time to rebuild FrankenJeep one more time. It took me about two years to get it almost finished. She says let them total it and we can buy another ZJ. At least it is a Jeep but I would have to be so careful about bending it on a trail. Maybe I could talk her into letting me get that Scrambler that hasn't been move for 18 months?

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 ZJ Limited

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dang Ohio Drivers (Long)

Document every conversation with your insurance company. EVERY phone conversation, when it happened and what was discussed. Be polite but firm in your wants. Present a list of every modification, its cost and gather every invoice you can find including cancelled cks, receipts and credit card invoices. DO not threaten or bluster - be nice - BUT - make sure the adjuster understands that you are willing - and going - to pursue the issue till it is resolved to your satisfaction. FOLLOW THROUGH and keep trying.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:31 PM

That really sucks.Will the insurance company pay four your "manhours?"Hey what about this?If your wife doesn't want you to rebuild it.Bring it to a body shop and have them do it..and have the other driver pay for it.

Here are some ads I found on collectorcars.com

Miami, FL $9,500.00
1980 JEEP CJ7, completely refurbished, runs great, needs no work, Laredo edition w/CD player, new 36 tires, bikini top included, asking $9500 or best offer, must sell, 305-975-0256.

Rock Hill, SC $8,500.00
1980 JEEP CJ5, rebuilt from front to back, fiberglass body, full power, 304 V8, 4-speed, best top, SUPER top, WHITE w/grey top, $8500, (803)329-7800, ROCK HILL
see photos

Cary, NC $16,500.00
1978 JEEP CJ7, V8, BROWN, auto/turbo 400 trans, no rust, winch/4.56/gears, 4in sus/lift, 1-piece axle, rhino/quadratrack, 33x12.5 tires/like new, GOLDEN EAGLE edit, svp/system, $16500 or best offer, (919)319-9382 CARY 00091913809 -51-01

This guy wants 11,500 for his
http://www.geocities.com/highlandcars/
95% complete restoration

One day..not far from now.Your children will open A "Big Truck Book" with all the heavy machinary,bulldozers and all..then you will stand in awe at the site of my '76 CJ-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 02:56 PM

I know what it's like to total a jeep..... not fun. You have about the same injuries I had from totaling my yj, seat belt brusies, a very minor cut on my dad's hand. As for insurance be happy you can buy it back the insurance company wouldn't let me buy my '95 back. I'd try and keep the cj [grin] at all costs.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 09:34 AM

As for ads, check out http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com for some pretty expensive rebuilt jeeps.
Also, you probably should have had a discussion with your insurance company when the rebuild was complete. I took pictures of my rebuilt, all the way from tear-down to finished (yeah, right) and brought them with me, as well as all the reciepts when I got my policy. I made it very clear what I expected coverage-wise, and they wrote me a policy accordingly.
If you also took pictures, they will also help out your case as well.
Bob in Ma

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:43 AM

try this site:

www.auto-rv.com

search for for SUV, then jeeps. matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode