What setup for snow ? !!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Addict

What setup for snow ? !!!!!!!

I've had my bone stock tj stuck in about 12 inches of snow twice in the last three days. I'm tired of digging the damn thing out. I know the ground clearance sucks, and so do the goodyear gsa's. Does anyone run a lot of snow? What setup do you guys recommend? I'm thinking 2-4 inches of lift and 33x9.50's, probably bfg at's. I've got the 2.5L 5-speed and the 35 rear. I not worried about having lots of flex, I usually only run fields, and as of late a little snow. To make it even worse I sold my cj two months ago to finance this tj. All I wanted was a Jeep and heat...ha ha. I know the cj wouldn't have gotten stuck, but I would have been just as cold. thanks fellas.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What setup for snow ? !!!!!!!

There are 2 ways to run snow, depending on vehicle weight and ground clearance. A heavy truck with a decent amount of clearance will want pizza cutters to dig right thru the snow. A lighter vehicle like a Jeep can float on top of the snow, this is good in VERY deep snow. The guys I know in Colorado that like to run in the deep snow use wide ATs aired down to about a pound of air, they can just run around on top of the snow. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] BTW, these are Jeeps I'm talking about, not FS trucks! And BTW, chains don't do you a darn bit of good if your undercarriage is getting stuck plowing snow.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 11:31 PM
Old Hand

I run 33X10.50's BFG AT's and have had tremendous success in the snow. The TJ like my YJ is a relatively light truck and even pizza cutters let it float. I run 34X9.50 TSL's off road and they perform flawlessly. Tall skinnies are nicer to your bearings. I run a 15X7 wheels with 4.5" backspacing. This keeps the BFG's almost under the flares and when the truck flexes they tuck under the fender openings.

Some Trucks at work run Denman Coyotes. They are a metric sized tire. I do not remember the size but it works out to 33X9. They have a good AT tread pattern but hard rubber - they get great mileage and longevity though.

You will have to buy some rims...the 33X9.50's will rub the control arms on stock wheels at full lock. The Eagle 599 (not 589) is a good looking aluminum rim and has a pretty deep back spacing and are rated for 33" rubber. Aluminum is better than steel if it stays in the snow months at a time!

IMHO

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 02:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In Montana, We run tall and wide. The snow is usually 4-5 feet deep, so you want to stay on top, because you will not touch solid ground. at least 35 inch tires are the norm for snow running around here, and lockers in both axles. The fullsize guys are running at least 40's to be sucsessful. Snow is very similar to sand, but has a lot less traction, so you need a wide tire. Once you drop to your frame, you are going to have to dig yourself out. Granny gears are very usefull in deep snow, because as soon as you spin, chances are, you are stuck. It is hard to teach a mud runner the right way to run deep snow, because, in most cases, it is opposite then mud running techniques. The opposite is true, because i lost a Mud bog, because I didn't keep my foot on the skinny pedal. Lifted way to early, fine in snow, but cost me a few feet in mud.

Thanks, Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:06 AM
I Do This For The Glory

We have run the 31x10.5 BFG AT with great success. Air them down to about 12 psi, and disconnect the swaybar. We also have the Trac-Lok, and can feel it working on the corners.

There are 2 ways to wheel on snow, depending on the conditions.

1) If the snow is under a foot, like about 10", power and speed are needed to get around. Lose momentum and you're having a hard time getting around, especially with only a 4 cyl. Smaller and taller tires are preferred for this.

2) DEEP snow is low and slow. First gear idiling is preferred, and as soon as forward movement ceases, back up and try forward again. Sometimes it's taken us hours to go 1/2 mile across a large field. Now, once a trail is broken, it's easier to follow (duh!), but the more it's run, the faster you can take it. Wider tires are preferred in this, because they do "float" ontop of the snow.

I'd also like to note, that lockers and lots of hp can hurt. I have seen people tweak the throttle and dig to China. Then they hit the throttle even more thinking it'll get them out, and sink even further. I have 2 pictures, one with a guy in a Built CJ-7 (Big Dogg, modified 360, NV4500, 4.56'd 9" axles with ARB's), he's stuck, and all of the rim is exposed. The next shot is the rim completely missing, buried under the snow, but the jeep never moved.

This first pic was of a trail with about 1.5' of snow on it, TJ kept up with the larger CJ's very easily.

This one is wheeling at Sunday River (near the ski resort), lots of fun, and some hairy water and river crossings as well.

This last one is of Kimball's mountain. We had to hit the hill in 4th gear, low range, with as much speed as possible just to make it up. The top was blown clear of snow, it was all on the side!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing I didn't mention. We run very low air pressure, under 5 PSI. I usually run 2 PSI. I agree that a lot of horsepower can be bad in snow, I usually get stuck when I use mine, but I still feel lockers are a must for deep snow. without lockers, you have to use momentom to get past some bad spots, and I can't tell how many times we have to give open axled out in one day. If you don't get a locker equiped vehical stuck to bad, you can usually do a little shoveling to get out. I only needed one tug last year, was able to get myself out of all of my other stucks.

Thanks, Ray

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, I should clarify my previous post. Lockers are fine, but with high hp, when you hit the throttle, both tires dig in, and create a rut. With moderation, a locker is awesome.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:30 PM

I've wheeled our xj in the snow a couple times, in the chicago area we have about a foot of mostly powdery. The xj is completly stock except for 235/75R15 BFG AT KO's, open diffs, 4.0 auto. It does great, usually in 4 hi sometimes in 4 low. I got through stuff a 2000 tj, 4.0, 30" gsa's, trac lock. I was running at stock air pressure, it was fun.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Addict

I think most of the problem is these goodyear wrangler tires, my wifes car came with more aggressive tires.
Thanks for your input everybody.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode