304 swap or rebuild 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 06:12 PM
Reaver

304 swap or rebuild 258

Hi Guys,
If you`ve read my posts before you`ll know I`m in the process of ripping out the 258 from my 82 CJ7 for a rebuild.
Well now there`s another twist, while looking through the custom car magazines I found an AMC 360 w/a 727 auto box prop and mounts from a Camaro ( I think )for 495 ( about $650 U.S ) it turned out that the 360 was a 318 but when I told the seller I had a Jeep he said he had an old 304 sitting in his garage that he would let me have for 150 ( about $230 U.S ), he said its been sitting around for a while and would probably need a rebuild.
I was wondering if I would be better off rebuilding my 258 w/a 4.0l head or rebuilding this 304 and dropping it in.
I`ve heard its a straight swap ( how straight is straight )
I have an 82 CJ7 auto Laredo no mods (yet), what do you guys think.
Also what about the 318 has anyone swaped one of these into a 258? Is it a straight swap?

Cheers.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 06:47 PM

Re: 304 swap or rebuild 258

The 304 is a direct swap only thing is the motor mounts, just order new ones for a 304, they will bolt in. The 318 )5.2 will work just requires some "custom work" and maybe a coustom adapter. I would get the 304 even if it isn't usable it's cheeper than a core charge. If you want fuel injecton there are several tbi kits and also if you are low on funds think about a quadrajet.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had both 258 and now have a 304. For you the swap would be easy and feasible since your already going for a rebuild. The stock 304 is good, but put a performer package on it,trick exhaust, some chrome and your be smiling. The overall power is much enjoyed. I just like a good sounding V-8.

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:38 PM
Reaver

yeah I think you guys are right, I`ll go for the V8 I just needed a couple of more reasons to convince my old lady that I wasn`t just throwing money at the Jeeps again.

Cheers.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode