Some days you cant win - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Some days you cant win

Well i got back from fiddling with my jeep. I put got a bracket to mount my power steering pump up high on my 252 V6. Well i thought everything was going good. I was wrapping things up to come home and then i took my steering shaft and put it in place as it would be when in use, and damn it all the power steering pump is in the damn way. I don't have the body on, and i am hoping that it is just my imagination, but now i am bummed that this pump is a problem. I have a club camp trip at the end of the month and i need to get everything together. Well now i am hunting for a manual gear box so if need be i will run manual steering for the camp trip. I hate my jeep, but i really love it so much. Why is this? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Tomorrow my hunt is on for a manual steering gear.
Just had to vent

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 03:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Some days you cant win

hey dan.. i really have no idea what those brackets are for.. im new to these antique jeeps... hehehe.. does your tailgate say "willys" on it? mine does.. and i found the sn# tag.. says willys on it also.. been tinkering around with it..
boy to the guys at the autoparts store really love me now.. hehehe.. i gave them enough problems with my other conglomeration.. now this one.. took them 10 minutes to find me an oil filter.. boy i love this thing.. and they dont even carry the air filter.. gonna try napa next week.. they gave me the wix number..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

When i got mine it had a blank repro tailgate with a little rust. But i am in the process of doing some Metal Surgery. I have a rusted out willys tailgate with the letters intact, and i got a brand new repro unit for real cheap, so i am going to sculpt together. I know this will be a real tough job because the old willys american metal with fight to the death before it gets to be attached to the phillipine metal, but in the end it should look real nice at a fraction of the cost what they want for a new willys repro tailgate.
My jeep has the willys tag also. I get some looks when i say it is a willys because the company was supposed to beought by kaiser then, but i am dead set that it is a willys. The discount auto stores will just love you for having that jeep. Their computers will explode when you ask them for stuff, but you should be able to find anything. I got some little parts around if you need anything, i got the brake pedals and linkage, because i went to firewall types. The first thing you will want to do is get the 11 inch brake conversion, unless it already has it. Those 9 inchers will not stop anything, And the emergency brake drum makes a good boat anchor, but you can sell it like i did, restoration guys still want them and i feel bad about tossing stuff like that because there is always another jeeper that can use it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dan, the power steering bracket should bolt to the three holes on the 252 head. It might be possible there are other bolt holes on the 252 that line up to the power steering bracket, that could cause the problem, but I really don't know. The bracket should mount as high up or higher than the exhaust manifolds. The bracket should be above the fuel pump by a couple inches.
dave

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan there are several different pump brackets for the buick v6 some mount low some go high. While your out looking for a manual box also look for a 1980 buick starfire with a v6 and power steering the bracket and pump from that car should solve your problem. Also these cars that didn't have air on them had a realy cool cast alum. alternator bracket.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 09:44 AM

Dan-
What does it take to do the 11" brake upgrade?
I have an off-set Danna 44 rear in my old '57 Willys CJ-6.
When I enquired at an old Jeep specialty place, the quoted me $ 350.00 !!!
I'd really like to keep the rear axel with it's 5:1 gears but it would be nice to have 11" drums and solid axels too.....

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 10:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jaffer, I think the brakes from an early Wagoneer should work. I have some complete axles from a 66 Wagoneer, with 11" brakes. If you would like I could sell you these parts. The parts are from my High School Auto shop, so I would be willing to accept a tax deductible donation for the brakes.
dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 10:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The bracket that Dan has is from a 1975 Buick Regal, with a 350 and air conditioning. I'm not sure if there are any other brackets that fit any higher than the 75 Buick Regal.
dave

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:24 AM

you got the wrong bracket, you need the 231 motor. As far as manuel steering box. Drive the jeep without the pump, it will be manual. Just tape the hoses. oh , they are two brackets, one with air pump, one without.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-293791-manifold.JPG (37.5 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The problem with the bracketis just a minor setback, it might not even be a problem yet, because i havn't put the body back on the frame. I did a power steering conversion with a swapped in column. So the out put from the column is probably different. I am just planning ahead to find a manual gear box to use for the campout at the end of the month, because it will be simpler and easier to do right now to fix the problem, if there is one. I don't have jeep together and i really want to debut the jeep at the campout. Later i will figer out steering shaft geometry.
I had the lower pump mounting bracket and it interfered with the fuel pump so on my 225 i had an electric pump, but then i noticed you could not access the timing marks. On this new engine i wanted to keep the mechanical fuel pump and have access to the timing marks.

Dave,
The backet fits great and looks really nice. Thanks again.

Jaffer,
the brake conversion can be done many ways, and it depends what price you want to pay. I just bough the front, for now, 11 inch upgrade from i think drive train direct. It came already to bolt on. It was very simple. And it is very noticeable. For the rear i installed jeepster rear 10 inch brakes. I got them from a guy vacationing and they bolted right on. Also helped. They are the same 10 inch brakes found in later 60's CJs. I heard that wagonner brakes bolt on also. I bough them new, because i wanted all new hardware and with used stuff, for me, it seems that little problems emerge and i did not feel like replacing the brakes bit by bit. The thing i am doing now to improve braking is install firewall mounted master cylinder. You will find out that it is very old to have to pull off the floor plate to get at the master cylinder. Even worse is the large socket or wrench to get the cap off, and the funnels to put the fluid in. Alot of work. I bought an early 70's pedal assembly. It fits the body tub perfectly, because the later CJ5s are differnt. I am also installed a hydrolic clutch because i did not want to deal with fabbing clutch linkage. It is turning out to be real sweet, but not finished yet. And also the firewall mounted master cylinder is a dual resovior. The floor mounted is a single. I like having an old jeep, but the safety factor is big, because i don't like to pump the brakes a thousand times to just SLLLOOOOWWWWW to a stop. Everything I have seen written about the 9 inch brakes say that they are horrible. I will get the rears eventually when i start paying for my new modifications. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode