No one ever mentioned this - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No one ever mentioned this

I was going to use a ford NP208 t acse in my eagle,i comapred it to the Eagle case in length,it was close enough
then i noticed the distance between the center line of the main shaft and the front output shaft.The 208
was about 4 inches greater distance (case wider/longer chain) type deal.My case is the same as a 207 from a XJ
soooooo, is other jeep cases the same as mine? like the 229-242-231?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 02:21 PM

Re: No one ever mentioned this

I think you are better off sticking with Jeep t'cases, Jon. I've learned from the GM Small Truck Forum that although S-10s have NP 207s and 231s, they will not interchange with the Jeep models. Sometimes you will see transfer cases denoted like this: NP 207J...the "J" standing for Jeep. I would imagine that any of the Jeep NP chain driven cases would fit your Eagle. Good Luck!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 06:14 PM

Re: No one ever mentioned this

The 228 and 229 are more like the 208 in size, and they aren't the most durable 'cases anyhow. I dont see why Dodge cases wouldn't swap into a Jeep unless the input splines are different. The Dodge cases even have a thicker chain that a few people have swapped into their Jeep case for extra strength. I wonder if Chrysler could be persuaded to put a 318/NV-3350/NV-231 combo into a new TJ...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 06:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hate beatin ghtis to death,but

I have been gathering all the info i can find before hitting the junkyards,just when i think i have found a donor,one little thing stops me from using it,Like the Ford 208 has large U joints,no problem,the smaller yokes from my 128 fit it perfect! then i find it is to wide.As for the 229 case,i have read of guys using the 229 in a eagle,but if it is a wider case,i dont see how.Spline counts arent much of a problem as i found a place that
sells adapter inputs in about every configuration you can imagine
I know my original case is the same width of a NP207- that came in a Jeep XJ (( Can anyone add to this list any case they
KNOW FOR SURE, that is the same as that XJ NP207 in width?)) i need to have a drivers drop,a NP design case.Strength isnt
really a issue here as this is just a daily driver that is used primarily in snow and some very light offroad trips.
All i want is a 4x lockable case with low range,a eagle has neither.

cases that will fit a eagle (eagle cases) NP 119-128-129
Jeep cases - NP207 - ???

everytime i think i am getting a list,i have to scrap it,i know it seems i am beating this to death,but something always crops up that i cant use this or that case,all i am looking for now is cases that anyones knows for sure.... that are NP make,same width as a Jeep 207.
since so many have changed theirs,i would think this should be a easy question since i only need to know about width (from centerline of mainshaft - to center line of front output shaft) being the same width as a 207.. and thanks to anyone/everyone

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 10:59 AM

Re: hate beatin ghtis to death,but

I can't see any reason why a XJ NP 228 (a Select Trac case with no 2wd) or a XJ NP 229 (Select Trac with a 2wd) would be a different width than the XJ NP 207 (Command Trac). I'm sure Jeep didn't alter the driveshaft locations between the different 4wd systems. If you can find out if the 207 will fit where your 128 does, then the Select Trac cases should fit as well. I'm guessing you'd prefer a Select Trac case, in order to keep the Eagle's all wheel drive capability. The NP 207 will give you 4wd lock in both high and low range.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes.the 207 is the same width as my 128,some say others are wider,some say not,that is why i was asking for replys where the person "knew" if it was or wasnt from actual comparisons and or swaps
Now, do i perfer a select trac? that depends, mine is a select "drive" as AMC called it.And it isnt worth a darn.
Not only does it split the front to rear,it has clutches that just dont transmit enough power to the front wheels except in on highway situations,any where else if the rear end unloads a little,the rear tires will spin,clutches slip,and front tires just sit there.I got this car in perfect condition a couple years ago with 50,000 miles on it from a estate sale and it belonged to a old man that had died,i saw his other vehicles and believe me,it sure wasnt abused,he bought new and barely ran it.And the T case has been this way from day one of my ownership.If i knew the Jeep select trac was any better then i would consider one,other wise, give me part time! I grew up on part time Chevys fords and Jeeps,seems this selet trac is just to
ummm, "yuppy?"
Another thing,with any one wheel off the ground,this t case will NOT give any other wheel enough power to pull.And that really stinks.
Maybe ill go find me a Jeep full size and put my car body on it ,i am about to to state...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 12:36 AM

you can add NP-231 to your list...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 06:37 AM

Well why not use an NP 231? My 87 YJ came with the NP207 in it and when I changed to the NP231 I just bolted it in place of the 207 using the same parts. But the thing to look for is the 207 (in the YJ's) came with a 21 spline input gear and the NP 231 I put in had the same spline count. Most NP231's came with the 23 spline count for the later AX15 and TF904/999 tranny's. This should be a direct change out for you.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode