Everytme I fix something brk smthng else.Brake prb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Everytme I fix something brk smthng else.Brake prb

I've noticed almost everytime I try to fix something or make it work i break something else.Such as when I was painting the jeep and broke the windshield.When bleeding brakes I strip a wheel cylinder..well anyways today while I was installing new front brake shoes on the cj..I was just putting the shoes on when pop!The cylinder pops one side off and fluid goes everywhere.I just bled these bastards two days ago!I know I had a leak up front and I think this is where it was.Well anyways I need to get the wheel cylinder out and my axle is in the way.I can *almost* get it out and it just wont come out.I took out the back bolts and i just cant get it past the backing plate(i think its what its called)Well is there any easy way I can do this without taking the axle off?
Thanks
Joey

One day..not far from now.Your children will open A "Big Truck Book" with all the heavy machinary,bulldozers and all..then you will stand in awe at the site of my '76 CJ-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Everytme I fix something brk smthng else.Brake prb

join the club everytime i touch one thing something else goes bad within the next day i hate it but i love it.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:08 PM
Way Outta Control

Hey Joey, I did the same thing just three weeks ago! Too soon old, too late smart! When you do your own work expect to pay a price when you make a mistake, and you will make them. About the only guy who never makes a mistake is the guy who never does anything.

IMHO I'd rather know a guy who does his own work, makes lots of mistakes and lives by, and learns from them than the guy who owns a Poser and does nothing but brags. Hand him a screwdriver and he'd not know what to do with it. I'd prefere real men as friends, those who know how to work, and live by the results.

Kid, keep makin' them mistakes and soon you'll make less and less. Remember the old farmers sayin' "Green things Grow, Ripe things Rot." You're still pretty green, keep it that way, always learning.

Soon people will be wanting you on the trail with them. Why, because you'll know every inch of your Jeep, how to fix it and get it home. That's the guy you want off-roading with you.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I know ten times more about the CJ which I have had for probably a month and a half then I knew about my firebird(1 year) or my cherokee(6 months) put together
I like working on the jeep and finding out whats wrong b-cause im so cheap[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]and fixing one thing usually helps you learn how to modify it or gives you knowledge of something else.But I like knowing more than any other at my school about jeeps..even though I don't know that much.However this board has definatly helped a lot..

One day..not far from now.Your children will open A "Big Truck Book" with all the heavy machinary,bulldozers and all..then you will stand in awe at the site of my '76 CJ-5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wellcome to the world of jeeps. I've worked on all kinds of vehicles and my 77 jeep is by far a challange, but whats more fun? Driving around in a big old buick regal with the windows rolled down or running over stuff in a JEEP with the top off? As for the wheel cylinder, I just pushed the back plate back a little and wiggled that dude right out.
Aaron

The baddest four letter word JEEP
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

That has to be the best description I have ever heard!
"I just pushed the back plate back a little and wiggled that dude right out."
Haha!I'll try in a minute.
Thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 08:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

Take things slow. Sometimes this isn't possible if you need the car for work the next day. Breakage will happen. I like the yellow can Liquid Wrench. Apply, tap with wrench or hammer, apply again, tap again, apply once more, let stand for awhile(sometimes for a day). Just as shampoo, rinse and repeat. Sometimes a little propane heat works wonders(watch fuel). Put things back as though you might have to take them apart again, you might have to. High temp. antiseize. I love stainless. Then you need antiseize for gauling prevention. Reguardless, why reuse the old rusty fasteners? If you're working on "A", and "B" breakes, replace "B". That's life. Make it right. Don't "Mickey Mouse" or quick fix unless on trail or away from home. Then permanently fix ASAP. Clean up that mess before and after. Use broken down cardboard boxes under leakage/spillage. Have tools handy. Use the wheels on your roll away for what they are meant. Paper towels. Several rolls, close by. Then have a mans size garbage can and use it. Zip lock bags. Go to grocery store and buy a box of every size. Good for all kinds of things. Tools: the right one for the right job. Period. That adjustable wrench will round off that rusted nut every time. Six point sockets are a good thing. Six and twelve point metric sockets can be forced on rusted nuts. Eight point/farm use sockets are beefier(less splitting, although Sears doesn't care)but have fewer sizes. Organize the smallest to the largest. Cheep steel shelves. "Z" shelf brackets for wall. It's alright to be anal, it's your garage or work area and the more you are prepared, the faster and easier you can handle that unexpected fubar/snafu, which will happen. I once was putting a new speaker on the top of the dash board and the windshield was stressed to the point that the slight pressure from the handle of the screw driver caused a major star fracture. Speaker was $35 and used windshield was $85. A friend was removing ball joint or tie rod end and hammer slipped and went through radiator. Everybody that has done work for them selves has had these things happen to them. Above all never stop learning and never think that the job is going to be quick and easy. Just be happy if you get yourself and things to the point that the next job does go quick and easy. Always hold your mouth right and use the right words.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 09:34 AM

Joey-
You give the phrase "For crying out loud" a new meaning!
We all feel your pain most of the time ... no kidding.
But, you are both wise and lucky to be a member of this forum.
Mucking through these trials and tribulations is the way of life.
And, adding to what Larry so eliquently stated ...
Substitute "Jeep" for the word "Love" in the old saying ...
"It is better to have loved and lost than to ever have loved at all"
Another ...
"If it doesn't kill you, you will have learned from it."
Just keep posting ... most can't help but chuckle and lend a hand.
This board always needs the fresh breath of new members.
Next year, you will be amoung those who will giving answers because you've "been there - done that".

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Wow the board helped [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i had my dad come over and we were messing with and and couldn't get it to come out.I told him someone told me to move the backing plate..he didn't think of it but said it might work.and...it did!Thanks guys!Im just glad I haven't messed up stuff that was new..because my windshield already had a crack in it and I'm almost positive that wheel cylinder was leaking..
Well you guys are great and I'm glad to be a member of the forum.It has inspired me to want to do a lot of stuff such as jeepns' dual emergency brake and the TR ignition upgrade..and now helped me get that wheel cylinder out.
Thanks guys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode