Front End Wander - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front End Wander

I have a 76CJ5 with 2.5 lift springs,3/8 lift shackle, 33 BFG A/T on 10in wheels. I have a new stock steering box, stock column and shaft. I would expect some wander because of the 33in tires but this is scarey. Low speeds are fine, but hit the highway at 45+ and I look like a drunk driver. It wanders hard left and right. Any easy, cheap fix? What have others done or am I overlooking something that might be wrong.

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Front End Wander

its called bumpsteer because your caster is off. I learned to live with it and just drive slow.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

get rid of the lift shackles, put a brace on your steering box, and make sure your tires have the same air pressure. if that doesn't fix it(it will) do a shackle reversal.

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:44 AM

Hey another thing you might check is where the front/front axle pring hangers mount to the frame can come lose, my friend had changed his steerng box and pitman arm and it still wondered but we were putting wrangler sptings on it and i noticed this i welded it and threw some new bolts in it and it tracks like a dream now, check it but the only real way to check for play is with the wheels up and springs off the axles, we never noticed this til we dropped the axles

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing.. upgrade stab. or run duals.. helps alot

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 07:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

I tweaked the steering box to take out as much of the play as I dare, then actually lowered the tire pressure to around 20 to get as much tire/pavement contact area. These two things did alot to help. A steering brace also helps. Found a sheered bolt on steering gear box mount. Also the offset of the wider wheels adds to the situation. I have 8's on narrow track axles with 7's on wide track axles on back porch waiting for springtime installation. And the obvious is alignment and steering/suspension wear/breakage. Good Luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 11:36 AM
Bill4x4

I had the same problem on my 1979 CJ-7, I did all of the
above with little improvement, was thinking about selling
the Jeep then I lowered the air presure in the 33 BFG MT tires to 24 and 26 psi and now I'll keep it. Its still
no sports car but driveable.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So offset wheels will add to the problem of wandering. I recently put special ordered 10 in steel wheels with 2 1/2 inch backspacing to widen my track. The paved roads around here have these serious ruts and I thought widening my track and tires would help.

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is the sway bar hooked up? had the same prob with my 83 cj7 soa. sway bar helped a lot!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 07:38 AM
Can't Get Enough

IMHO.....Jack up the front end. Take a tire off. Look at the steering axis, the hinge points that the hub pivots on. Look at the distance from this point to the wheel mounting face. There's a technical term for this and I forget where my Chevrolet Power books are. These had some very good info. So driving down the road you have pressure from the tire/wheel wanting to push it backward on both sides of the car due to this offset. Now if the tire were centered over the wheel mounting face, I think 7 in. wide wheels come close, this would have the minimum amount of leverage. However if wider wheels/tires are wanted, this moves the center of the tire outboard due to the fact that the wheel would start rubbing on things if you try to move it inboard. With wider tires now you are increasing the lever action, the force trying to push the tire/wheel backwards on both sides of the car as you are driving down the road. With the right amount of toe-in on a dry flat concrete road you would not feel a thing. In the real world the slightest outside force or movement(rutted roads, wind, potholes) will cause this increased lever action to quickly want to steer the car in that direction. There is a section of rt. 42 in NJ here where it goes from concrete to rutted black top. The first time I hit that doing 65 I almost changed lanes. Even knowing about and correcting for it I still get looks from the drivers next to me. I might be wrong but I think the older front wheel drive cars used to have wheels that placed the center of the tire over this steering axis. This all but did away with wandering. That is why you couldn't get custom wheels for the Caddy Eldos and Olds Tornados. Why does my $0.02 sometimes turn into a buck two ninety eight? hehe.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode