Two weeks late, and some punk is a car short . . . - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Two weeks late, and some punk is a car short . . .

I stopped by the machine shop today to get some final touches done to my 360. There sits a beautiful late 80's Vette engine bored .60 over with the tuned MPFI, headers, etc, etc, etc, ready to bolt in and go. I asked the owner about it:

About a year ago, a burb owner brought in for a swap - but after the build was finished he stiffed the shop owner. The shop owner finally decided to recoup his expenses after one year had passed from the day the rebuild was completed, and sat the engine out front for $1500 with a warranty - that was Friday two weeks ago. A few hours later, some high school punk walks in and sees the engine and runs back home to get the cash . . . then came right back and bought it. That punk then asked the shop owner if he minded storing it for a while for him. Shop owner says sure but asked why - that punk kid says, "Well, I just got to find something to put it in now . . . I don't own a car yet!"

And to think after it is all said and done I will probably be out $1500 on my Carter flood injected budget rebuild 360! Dang! Oh well, at least I'll have a "TR" ignition and a CJDave oiler . . . and maybe I'll put a SWB*BBS sticker on the air cleaner housing for that 50 extra HP!

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Two weeks late, and some punk is a car short . . .

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Let X equal the number of times that shops have built stuff and have not been paid.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, I can identify with "Punkie Dunkie" in that the very first time I laid eyes on a Chrysler Double-Rocker Hemi circa 1951-58 I just HAD to have one just to sit in the shop if nothing else. I ended up putting those early Chrysler hemis in just about everything that would hold one. We had some pretty awesome Dodge pickups on our ranch[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] and some Ford hay trucks which seemed to have a rather strange exhaust sound.....hmmmmmm.....like the rough-edged sound that those open combustion hemi chambers make.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 01:24 PM

I have three 400 olds engines here that have been here for over 10 years on the same deal.
Can't give them away....

The guy was supposed to go racing, and wanted three identical engines.
These are the odd ball 400 olds, better suited to long stroke boat racing than cars...
Gives me $400 to start the job, so like an eager beaver, I foot the bill for all the parts, do all the machine work, and get them ready to go, and he shows up and says, "we were just talking, I didn't REALLY want them built yet...."

He then had the gall to ask me to build three 502 Cadillac engines, because that is what he decided to use...
Then about a month later, he wanted three 454 chevy engines....

I haven't been able to give the Olds engines away, and I never built the others for him.
I keep them under the stairs here just so I see them every day, and it's reminds me of my grandpa's old saying...
"In God We Trust---- All Others Pay Cash."

"Special order parts... Cash"
"Shelf Stock Parts.... Cash"
"Machine Work.... Cash"
"Everything Else... Cash"
"Coffee ............... Free"
-------------------------------------------

Now that corvette engine will probably sit in the window for another year, then the kid will want a refund because he can't keep a job long enough to buy a car....

I charge $1 a day storage after the job is done for 15 days.
I figure that not everybody can get here right away, but they should be able to make time in two weeks....
I think that's fair since I'm tying up floor space and an engine or transmission stand...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 02:51 PM

Put them on the easy payment plan: "Half down, the rest now."

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
48 CJ-2A 225 V-6, SM465, D18, D44's, SOA on CJ springs, 35's, SHORT driveshaft [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
89 Wrangler 4 banger
98 Tacoma EC 6 cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode