4.2 woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.2 woes

I gots all the problems with the 4.2...carb, head, smog, and 180 thou. on motor. should I rebuild the block, chase the 4.0 head down, and buy the new fuel inj. or go with the junk yard special? they offered a 94'-95'ish engine + fuel inj ("everything I need") for 1,800 to 2000. is there any junk yard tricks they could play that I should watch out for? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.2 woes

If you go with the junk yard be sure and be there when they take it out, They don't carry to many tools with they so if they can rip it out they will!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:08 AM

That's top dollar for a 5 year old 4.0.
You didn't state the mileage. Better check! Could be 125,000 ++!
If you do opt for it make sure you get the ENTIRE wiring harness, the MAP sensor on the firewall, the charcoal canister, relays, ... everything ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I kinda agree with Jaffer - be sure it includes EVERYTHING if you buy it. For that kind of money, you don't want to be making more than one trip!
How much would it really cost to overhaul your 4.2 and add a 4.0 head? To me, that sounds like a sweet setup . . .

Jed Smith
'80 CJ7,258 w/TR,4" spring lift + 1" shackles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 11:18 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

There are so many things that can add more $ to a 4.0 swap - and more come into your head as you think about it. Things like the fuel pump - the junkyard guy probably would have forgotten that, as it's not "in" the engine compartment. Junkyard guys are great - stand there chomping on a cigar, going "Yup, it's got the computer, and everything! Whatta ya say?" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Personally I would not do that swap unless I had a complete YJ sitting there to take the parts from as I needed them.

Otherwise, it depends on how complicated you want to get. A 4.2 can be a nice uncomplicated motor with a good carb like the weber or a motorcraft 2100 (I think this is the right number), an appropriate cam, and a good ignition like a GM HEI or a team rush upgrade. If you are in a state where your emissions laws won't allow something like that, then a 4.0 head and the mopar injection is supposed to be a nice combination, and you can buy it new with everything you need, and know you've got it all, and you'd know the price.

Just my $0.0000002.
Good luck
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode