Off Roading Forums banner

tfi Team rush upgrade - warm resistor wire??

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
1st - thanks to Teamrush for the wealth of information!! Jeep is much perkier!
my Jeep = 1989 4.2 six 5spd Wrangler - Canadian version 92,000 miles
Issue =
I did the distributor cap / plug wires upgrade first, no problem, runs fine.
Couple of weeks later I added a tfi coil off a later model 6cyl Ford Tarus. The coil had a really large guage wire (red) for the positive terminal, regular small guage wire for the negative (green) . The resistor wire on my Jeep (red/grey stripe) is hanging out of the loom (maybe it has been replaced with the wrong type) - anyways the resistor wire got very very warm to the touch using the tfi coil while the Jeep just was running at idle. Switching back to using

G
#2 ·
I am no machanic... but no body else has posted anything. I don't know anything about the TR upgrade (heck, I couldn't even tell you waht it is) but I do know that the resistance wire will get "warm". Mine does it and I know others that notice it also.

I am sure someone will either back me up or nock me over but I thought I would tell you the little that I know. :)

Happy Holidays.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost

#3 ·
I did the same upgrade and had the same experience. I used the resistor wire for a F350 V8 (way too long but worked). It gets warm but I haven't had any probs yet but am not sure if this is normal.
For JerseyWheeler, the TR/TFI Upgrade is an ignition upgrade from the stock Jeep setup to the Ford Duraspark/TFI Coil setup. It seems to work well, I can now rev my stock AMC 304 up to about 3800 vice the 3000 rpms I could before. It smooths out the idle and is supposed increase mpg (haven't had a chance to check this yet). HTH.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces
"They can have my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."

#4 ·
The resistor wire getting 'Warm' is normal.
The resistor wire getting 'Real Warm' is normal.

The resistor wire getting too hot to touch is NOT normal.
If you can hold it between your fingers with out pain, it should be OK.
If it's too hot, then you might want to look into replacing it.

If it's hot enough to melt the insulation, DO NOT OPERATE THE VEHICLE UNTIL IT'S REPLACED.

All resistors generate heat, that's how they work.
The resistor wire should not get so hot you can't keep your finger on it, (It will be WARM to the touch), but if it's melting insulation, something is wrong, so have it looked at.

You might have one of the defective Ford Factory coils also....
They caused problems up one side and down the other.
Do a resistance check of the coil....
You should have about 0.44 Ohm on the primary side of the coil (12 volt terminals).
If the resistance is less than 0.40 Ohm, you may have a bad factory coils.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G
#6 ·
Re: TFI TeamRush upgrade - warm resistor wire??

Thanks for the new info.
Yes the wire is was very warm at idle, but not HOT. I was concerned about it getting hotter under load at higher RPM's.
The last half of my original post didn't make it to print. What I did was add another small wire ( with a 10amp fuse )from the fuse box to the positive terminal of the coil,(in addition to the factory wire) . I have been running that for the last week with no problems, and the resistor wire is dead cold now.
I understood(?) from the archives that the TFI coil can take a full 12 volts, and 12 volts to the coil would not damage to the duraspark unit.
Thanks for all the info,I really appreciate it.
Jim R
Reno, Nevada

Reno,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.