New Equal wheel balance powder instead of weights? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:39 PM
sheesley

New Equal wheel balance powder instead of weights?

My buddy has an automotive garage and got some of this new "equal" wheel balancing packets. They seem to have sand in them and you throw them as a whole package into the tire as you mout it and it is supposed to continuously balance your tire. I figure this would be great for my 39's and 44's that are expensive and time consuming to balance. Was wondering if anyone had comments on this product. I think it s marketed around big rigs and such. Thanks
~~TIM~~

I hate signatures!

[img]C:\my documents\widerisbetterjpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:02 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: New Equal wheel balance powder instead of weights?

Yes, they are, and I have heard they work well. Got a few frinds that are truckdrivers (and my father in law-hauls east coast to west coast twice a month) that have used them and say they work well, and adjust as the tire gets worn as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:29 AM
Can't Get Enough

I was getting ready to use that stuff, but the equal "balls" up when it gets wet.So if you ever get air from somewhere that is watery you may have a problem. Also, my York compressor has a slight mist of oil sometimes and will also add to the balling up.I had my 38" hawgs balanced as close as they could get them(with lead)and it is fine. I rarely go over 55 and leave it at that. Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,38" Hawgs, 4" SOA, soon Detroits...
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't say if the shop that mounted my tires used Equal, but they did use a sandy type substance to balance them. They could not get two of the wheels and tires to even get close to balancing. Used the "stuff" in the two tires and told me to make sure and put them on the front. BTW, this is not on my CJ, but on my Silverado (16x8 Weld Super Singles and 295 BFG ATKO's).

The "stuff" did not work. The first drive with my new tires and wheels had the steering wheel actually sawing back and forth at certain speeds. Thought it needed aligning after putting a body lift on and cranking the torsion bars a couple of turns, but I tried switching the front tires with the back first. This eliminated the sawing and vibrating felt in the steering wheel, but it now feels like the shake is coming from the rear.

Don't know if it's balled up from moisture, but the truck drives better on cold mornings than hot evenings. The shakes get worse the hotter it gets. So I feel the balancing substance is definitely effected by climactic changes (both wet and temperature).

I haven't yet taken it back, but when I get around to it, I plan on having them remove the "stuff" and try balancing again, once the tires get some wear on them. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find a local place with the Hunter GSP 9700 balancers. Heard alot of good things from those machines.

Greg J.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:39 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Actually you probably DO need an alignment after the cranking of the T-bars. Couldn't hurt to check it just to be sure. If it's an older vehicle you'll want an alignment anyhow most likely. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought.</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 11:21 PM
Old Hand

I have been using equal for years and years on heavy equipment. It has been in my Jeep tires for 5 or so now. It is not sand, it is a polymer. It has been available for larger light truck tires for a few years now. A little moisture is not a problem since it will evaporate as the tire heats up. Counter Act is a Canadian product like equal that works a little better in light truck tires because the granules are finer. It also tolerates water much better.

Equal is now available for passenger car tires, but they recommend you balance the tire the conventional way then use a special applicator tool to blow it through the valve stem to keep your tires balanced for the rest of their life. If you have problems with the stuff, it most likely because the incorrect amount was used. If it does not come in a throw in bag for your tire size, be very sure when they pour it from the premeasured bag that all of it gets in and none is spilled on the bead.

Oil from your compressor in your tire is bad. The oils will eventually breakdown the tire. It will also trap contaminents in your air flow entering the tire and then as you air down one day, screw up the schrader valve.

I run counter act in my 34X9.50's and in my 33X10.50's BFG AT's. No problem at highway speeds. A buddy runs them in 44" TSL's and they ride great on the highway - you should have seen the size of the bag for those tires! He has almost 30K on them and they still have 60% of their tread left.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:21 AM
Carey

A little off topic but just food for thought. I had a similar situation several years ago with a stock YJ with only 30" tires. It would ride so smooth in the mornings on the way to work, 38 miles one way, then one the way home it would be so bad you could actualy see the windshield shake from side to side. I had them rebalanced several times but still no good. I was running the factory option full face steel wheels. As it turns out this provides a sort of pocket at the back side of the face of the wheel where the rim and the center portion are attached to each other. I had dirt, OK correction lots of mud, in this "pocket". In the mornings the dew was making this soft enough to spread around the rim without any ballancing problems, and I was always taking it to the shop in the mornings. But during the day this mud would all run to the lowest point of the rim and dry out in a small mud pack. It was just enough to throw off the ballancing something terrible. After we discovered this "small problem" I would keep the rims washed out at the car wash and never had that problem any more.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 01:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i rememeber reading some where that you can get these rings that go behind your wheel....its filled with oil or something and a bunch of heavy metal beads.......works the same way as the Equal stuff you are talking about....the metal beads balance out the tire......this way you could change your tires and still be balanced (if you have a set of tires for road and one for off-road for example)

i read about this from some guys toyota webpage....he had some big toy 4x4....i dont rember the site off hand but i'll look to see if i can find it again.

Jeep'n Greg
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode