To SOA or Not to SOA? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To SOA or Not to SOA?

I have a SUA YJ 4"lift, 2" body, 1" hypershackles with 35" swampers, soon to have TJ flares.

My buddy, a welder, hobby--modifying 4x4's; has a spring over YJ with chevy axles, drivetrain, running 38's. Obviously has the experience and knowledge to do a SOA. He has offered to do the labor for free if I help and supply the needed parts. Do I really want to go SOA? Id like the extra clearance for the 35's. The extra flex. Can I run SOA with hypershackles? I also have a shackle reversal. Is this a problem with SOA setuP? I currently have no axle wrap, no vibrations, no need to lengthen driveshafts. But If I go to SOA I'm sure I'd have to deal with all that and steering problems. How much more $$$ am I looking at even though labor is free? Would you guys do it? Have any of you done SOA's and regretted it? Let me know

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To SOA or Not to SOA?

Don't know myself - but - If you look at all the wild big tire rigs running the tough trails it sure looks like they belive that SOA is the hot ticket. Does not look like you can get much over 35"ers without a SOA.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jun11...do it! Save some cash and do the 8.8 at the same time. You should be able to use your current cv shaft, you just my want to lengthen it a little. Either get an good add-a-leaf for your stock spring packs or use your main leaf from your 4" pack with the rest of your stock pack. Just be ready to tune your leafs after a few trips. You won't regret it...the flex, lift and ride will be MUCH better than your SUA set up.

Greg
http://home.nvbell.net/grbell/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am running an SOA, and you have to play with the leaf springs to make it work right. Up until 8 months ago I would have recomended an SUA, and still would, if you don't want to take the time to really make an SOA work. I know of a couple of CJ7's running Skyjacker 4 inch lifts, and 35 inch tires that RTI better then 1000 on a 20 degree ramp. I finally got my SOA setup working good, and don't have to worry about bending a spring everytime I go wheeling, but you can excpect the springs to sag fairly fast. I recomend somesort of traction link, I run one on each side, but I am trying to figure something else out, probably A Y shape going to the center of the axle, and a pivot system that won't limit articulation. Once you get an SOA figured out, I don't think you would ever want to go back to SUA.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode