Weber Carb Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weber Carb Problem

I have a 87 wrangler, 258, auto with the Weber 551. I have a problem with it boging when i hit the gas hard. I am trying to fix it with a igition upgrade tomorrow, ( ford 150 dist., cap, rotor, wires and coil.) But i found some info on past postings that it might be a primary jet problem and that i should go from 55 to 60 in size. Does anyone have any suggestions?

87 Wrangler, 258, weber, aluminum valve cover, rs5000, 3 inch body lift, nerfs, interior bed liner paint, no rust, riged for the beach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Weber Carb Problem

Also, 14 volts going to the choke and no vaccum leaks.

87 Wrangler, 258, weber, aluminum valve cover, rs5000, 3 inch body lift, nerfs, interior bed liner paint, no rust, riged for the beach
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A bog when you punch it with a Weber usually indicates a too SMALL main jet, contrary to popular belief. Yes, you are most likely right.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad-

When I had trouble with the new Weber that I bought, Weber told me that a bog when you punch it was from TOO MUCH gas and instructed me to install a SMALLER jet. Maybe thats why I ended up with a $275 piece of scrap metal. (I'm still feeling had over that one.)

Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went thru this with a couple Webers of people I know, and talking to others this for some weird reason seems to be how it works. Contrary to genreal wisdom with carbs such as Holleys, etc. Heck, it is even contrary to the way we would go about tuning the Mikunis on our bikes years ago when I worked on them.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:58 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

My weber would bog and backfire when I first put it on. We kept drilling the jets out till it got better. Now it runs pretty good but it will still bog a little. A warm engine helps a lot.

82 cj-7,258,hei,weber,np435,D-300, superior axles
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:35 AM

Absolutely correct on the bog being caused by to SMALL of an idle jet in a 32/36. Is the K552 the same as the 32/36? I fixed my bog by going to the larger idle jet. The larger jet also fixed a lean idle ping at highway speeds, and allowed me to run regular instead of premium gas. Being able to run the lower octane gas is saving me big bucks. I read a Weber Tuning manual available at Barnes and Noble. It explians why the larger jet fixes the 'bogging' problem in the 32/36. In short, it is not so much as a bog from to much fuel, as it is a fuel starvation problem caused when the secondary opens. If you have a bookstore that carries that book, take a look at it. the information on the 32/36's is only a few pages long. You might be able to read those pages and not need to buy the book.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode