oxtrax and ford 8.8? Coming soon or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oxtrax and ford 8.8? Coming soon or not?

Does anyone know if the oxtrax is going to be available for the ford 8.8 axle?

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oxtrax and ford 8.8? Coming soon or not?

Might be, down the line. But first look for the Ford 9", Dana 44, Dana 60, Dana 35, Toyota Axels, and probably Sami axels. These are more commonly used in the market. The 8.8 is less used, and has only recently been discovered for swapping in a Jeep(that is why so many are converting to it, so plentiful). The vehicles that use the 8.8 are not know as the greatest off-roaders either(Explorers and Rangers), that is unless that new Jeep-competition Ford(I belive it is due to the market in 2003, same as the "serious offroad edition" TJ) uses the 8.8.

All in all you will probably have to wait a while for the OX to be produced in an 8.8 variety. They are a private company as well, so R&D money is tight. They have to spend it in the right places. Look for that new Detroit Electric Locker first, I'd say.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:37 PM
Old Hand

their web page only shows the D30 as available. That looks like the locker I want, but not for a D30.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:55 PM
FlMudCJ

Remember now, the Ranger uses the ford 7.5" axle in almost all but 4.0L 4X4's and otherwise by special order. The explorers had it more plentifully, but the one you forgot to mention is the F-150. The 8.8 has been used in these 1/2 ton trucks since the 9", and while they aren't as strong, I'd say they hold up well (I've got one in my '97, and buddy has one in his '86) Its a good rear-end, just doesn't have the aftermarket setup in the off-roading department. Now if you wanted a spool for it, the 8.8 is also the stock rearend in liveaxled mustangs and thunderbirds, and probably the crownvic too. If it'll live in a police cruser and NYC cabbie, as well as behind a 460 with NP435/NP208 torque multiplication, I'd say its a darn good axle.

re-reading that, you didn't say it wasn't a good axle, I just kinda got carried away. been cooped up 1000 miles away from my jeep for 3 weeks... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:54 AM
Old Hand

The 8.8 is an OK axle. It lives it cabs and police cruisers because the small tires they run. Breakaway torque on a 215/65/15 is a heck of a lot less than on a 35x12.50 mud tire. Side loads are less with the small tire and shock loading is a lot less in pot holes than boulders.

Sorry - got carried away - bigger does not always mean better.

Same reason 12 bolts don't hold up like Dana 60's

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode