Dual Battery re-visited Teamrush/CJDave &everybody - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Dual Battery re-visited Teamrush/CJDave &everybody

OK, back to some of the old posts on this topic brings up a few questions.

In all of the setups that I have found while paroosin' thru the old posts, basically just connect both batteries in parallel when the oil pressure comes up or "if the case may be" when the overide switch is swithed to closed.

This does not address the issue that Aaron has mentioned in the past regarding a "charging isolator". If your running a matched set of batteries, is it really worth while to add a charging isolator to the system?

My understanding of the gel cell batteries is that either condition, "under charge or over charge" can cause bubbles to form in the gel, creating a poor conductive medium, thus rendering the battery useless.

If it would be benificial to incorporate a charging isolator, maybe a system where the starting battery could be isolated from the secondary battery, which would be used for winching or other high draw accessories. Then set up the continuous duty solenoid (with a manual switch only) so both batteries could be used for cases where more current is necessary. Whether that be starting or winching.

Do you guys follow me?
I'm kickin' around ideas here before I start my setup. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
What's the consensus?

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
A bad day wheelin'
will always beat a good day workin' [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:54 PM

Re: Dual Battery re-visited Teamrush/CJDave &everybody

You are correct in the strictest theory, but the practice may be different...

If you have two new batteries, side by side, and the only time they are isolated are when the oil pressure is below 10 psi, then the logical thing to do is to swap the batteries around about every 6 months.
Proper battery isolators are temperamental, EXPENSIVE, and hard to tell when they have failed.

If you swap batteries about every 6 months, you will pull even enough on both to have them be reliable during their warranty lifetime.
This goes for any two like batteries manufactured about the same time.
All bets are off if you have a 'Mix-N-Match' setup in mind... Like a starting battery and a deep cycle....

Gell cells are a pain in the a$$, and the 'Six Pack' (looks like a six pack from the bottom) batteries are the worst.
The 'Jelly Roll' (layers of jelled electrolytes and flexible plates) rolled in a cylinder shape are the worst.
All jell cells have a problem with vapor discharge (they don't), and it can ruin the battery if the discharge is real bad.

You can buy gel cells that look like standard batteries for a lot less than the current crop of Jelly rolls.
(But since they look like any other batteries, a lot of guys won't want them. Not enough product recognition, but those guys pay $200 for disposable sunglasses too....)

Gell cells are not needed unless you plan to have the vehicle on it's roof on a regular basis... (I'm a better driver than that)
Find a liquid battery with good vapor and liquid recovery caps, and use it for $30 or $40 instead of $150 to $250.

With the 'Self Starter' wiring diagram we came up with on the other thread, anytime the engine is running, both batteries are used.
Anytime the engine is not running, (and alternator not charging) the batteries are isolated, and one is kept in reserve.
There are more complicated ways to wire it, but this seems the simplest....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Aaron for the reply.
As you say, "in practice" kinda leads me to the Keep it simple concept.
I think I'll stick with the continuous hold solenoid configuration and rotate batteries on occasion. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
A bad day wheelin'
will always beat a good day workin' [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] At the risk of being redundant on this I have to say that we did mix and match batteries which were connected parallel with rising oil pressure. We had a standard truck battery up front; then the continuous hold solenoid feeding a deep cycle marine battery and a standard one alongside the deep cycle. The two batteries in the rear were actually connected in series when the hoist was running to get 24 volts. So our setup was: standard-solenoid-standard-deepcycle on the charge mode with oil pressure, and standard-open solenoid-standard-series-deep cycle on hoisting. If I wanted more poop on a sustained job, I could start the truck, build oil pressure and that gave me standard-solenoid-standard-series-deep cycle.....two standards on one side of the 24 volt setup and one deep cycle on the other. The battery life was remarkably long. We only changed the deep cycle twice in about twelve years of everyday use, and the standard batteries about the same. Luckily, our runs to and from the jobs were far enough to recharge the batteries under MOST conditions. I did have a two-pole trailer connector on the side of the truck which went to the hoist battery circuit so we could put a charger on overnight if need be. Our flood lamps ran off the hoist battery group, so that was one thing that we did have potential to run ourselves out of current with. We had an on board welder/generator so we could set up the battery charger if need be, the only problem was if we were actually in welding mode we could not use the 120V welder current. Later on we set up two sets of floods, one on the generator direct, and one on 12V DC. That way we had the option if running either setup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All this talk of battery setup Make's me think What are the best brands of batts out there. I was thinking of getting one of those optima batterys then getting another later when i get a winch. I can get one for $250.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:53 PM

Glad someone asked that...

The best batteries I have used are from a manufacturer called 'New Castle'.
Often sold under the Turbo-Start name.

Long life, durable construction, good warranties, reasonable prices.
Makes one hell of a deep cycle battery!
I use their standard case (opposed to jelly roll) gel cells all the time.
Less money and half again more powerful.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode