Tranny ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Tranny ?

Have SR4 but have opportunity to get T5 installed. Have 283 chevy in 81 cj-8. SR4 seems would be weak due to jeep originally had 4banger in it. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:31 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Tranny ?

Welcome to the BBS!

I'd go with a different tranny. Throw in the SM465/NP205 and be happy, you'll probably never wear it out. It has no overdrive, so if you're looking for an overdrive, a T-5 might be an acceptable swap, but I doubt it'd last long behind a 283. If it's a World Class T-5, I'll bet it'd hold up, but not a jeep T-5. The NV4500 would be nice, but it's a LOT of money. Who put the 283 in front of the SR-4? Man, mine blew behind my GM151, I can't imagine 4 times the hp. Is this for the street or off-road?

The SM465/NP205 was put into Chevys from '67-'80, with some models even showing up in the 80's until 1990. If the truck has a 4 speed in it (or 3 speed with low), it's the SM465. Above 1980 they used the SM465, but had a multitude of transfer cases hebind it (NP208, NP241, etc). It's a very strong tranny, will bolt to the 283, is cheap, and is easy to adapt to the existing skidplate under the jeep. I swapped it into my Scrambler behind the GM151 4 cylinder, cost me $250 for the bellhousing, tranny, and transfer, another hundred or so for new driveshafts. I'm also using the hydraulic clutch setup that came with the '81 originally.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some good advice from JEEPN, but I'd like to offer a few more. First of all, the SR4 is probably the second worst trans ever offered in a Jeep, only slightly better than the Peugot in the early Wranglers. Ball bearing input and out shafts among other things. But, if you are looking for a direct swap with not much hassle there is also one other trans you might consider, the T-176/177. Came stock in many 80s CJs, and was also used in the J trucks. But, since you already have a 283, JEEPNs idea just might be the hot ticket! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Jeep was bought w/ SR4/283 setup. What is a "new world" T-5 and what would they be out of? This is my brothers jeep and he does't have a computer. He is thinking about the T5 swap but I thought I would ask around before he drops the bucks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A "World Class T-5" is similar to what came in the Mustangs. Fairly strong, non granny five speed. Advance Adapters sells one ready to bolt into a Jeep for around $1200.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:18 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The World Class T-5 was put in the Ford Mustangs behind the 5.0L (302) V-8 engine, but they need an adapter to mate a transfer case to them. It's stronger than the jeep T-5 series, but they're pricey though. I'd find out what he wants to do with it. The SM465 isn't a road friendly tranny, large gears and long shifter are not conducive to speed shifting if it's a street machine. In other words, it'll shift like a truck and not like a car.

Brad,

Unless I"m mistaken, doesn't the T-176 to SBC setup need a bellhousing to adapt the two? I didn't think they were a direct bolt-up.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode