Fiberglass One-Piece Tile Front End, no tilt? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fiberglass One-Piece Tile Front End, no tilt?

Well, i haven't been on this board in a while, since i sold my last jeep. Now that the finicial gos are happy agiain, i can look for another jeep. I found a pretty nice cj7, it is all fglass, w/ a fglass 1-piece front end. The only problem is that the owner has it setup like a normal hood(two hinges on the back, open up, rest against windshield. I think this is weird for a 1-piece, and looks like itsg oin to push throught the hinge mounts, also it runs the tires and altenator when opening the hood, so the engine has to be off to open the hood. I want to convert it so it opens like most 1-piece front ends, tilts foreward(like a semi front end). How do i go about doin this? Will i need hodd pins? any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW-what is the worst thing that could happen if yo get water in the diff?, would it make that axle have a high pitch wine?

mike h
suffering from lackofjeepitis[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:40 AM

Re: Fiberglass One-Piece Tile Front End, no tilt?

the tilt thing you can get from four wheel drive hardware. I think it costs about $100. Fiberglass 1 piece front ends tend to crack around the hinge joints because they are so heavy. So watch out.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will never be able to get a permanent mount winch with a forward tilt front end. You could get one of those removable winches, but that is too much truouble for me. I personally would never by a Jeep with a front tilting hood, unless the price was unbelievable.

You could cut the hood loose from the fenders and grill. Attach a hood latch and tie downs, and permanently mount the grill and fenders to the frame(one piece grill and fenders). This should solve all problems with the weight of the frontend pushing on the hinges and not have those front tilting problems.

Oil and dirt(found in most any water that will get in diffs) or just plain water for that matter don't mix. Either water or dirt will ruin the lubricating oil(it will either be gritty or milky, either way this is ruined oil). Bad oil can damage berrings, seals, cause excessive gear wear, etc. All in all not good. If you get water in your dif., change the oil immeditly. Yes this could cause a high piched whine in the rear, but this is probably an indication of worse problems(than just a whine)

To avoid this run longer breather lines and cap them with a commonly found(and cheap!) chevy breather cap(they will supposedly shut off the line if water goes over the top). They can be bought from any chevy dealer.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:53 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, the high pitch whine is the axle screaming at you for not changing its oil. If you don't change it, it'll stop whining and leave you in a hurry, usually with a mess to deal with. Changing the oil now might stop the whine, but depending on how long it's gone, it may not, in which case the bearings need to be changed out or you'll really be hurting.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:12 PM

I have run a 1 piece hood(AJ'S) for 10 years now with no problems at all. Tilting it forwards looks better but it is much easier to work on (and we do work on them alot don't we) when it tilts back against the windshield. Mine tilts back and I can change the oil without crawling under my Jeep.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I too have a one-piece fiberglass frontend that tilts back and rests on the windshield. While it does seem like it is stressing the back hinges a bit, I've had absolutely no problems with this setup. And what a dream it is to work in the engine compartment when there are no fenders or anything to get in the way. Not sure why the one you are looking at would make contact with the tires or anything when opening it, but just remember, it is made out of fiberglass and is easily cut and molded to avoid such things. Take a sawzall or grinder and trim so that nothing hits.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode