Anyone put in a "Drip Pitman Arm?" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone put in a \"Drip Pitman Arm?\"

The 4" springs are on, coupled with the 1" shackle lift, and man is it ever sweet! Of course, the steering is off now, and I bought a drop pitman arm to correct it. Is this hard to put on correctly, or do I just rip the old one off and slap this one on?
Also, is this all I need to do, or should I go get the thing aligned, etc. because I put new shocks on as well?
Thanks for any help.

Jed Smith
'80 CJ7,258 w/TR,4" spring lift + 1" shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:49 AM

Re: Anyone put in a \"Drip Pitman Arm?\"

You can correct for the steering wheel no longer being centred by adjusting the linkage between the exising pitman arm and the passenger side knuckle. Loosen the two pinch bolts and rotate the sleeve to correct.

The function of the drop pitman arm is to put the joint at the pitman arm back on the same vertical plane (height) as the joint at the passenger knuckle. This will reduce bump steer. Bump steer is when a change in compression of the wheel turns the wheels and steers the vehicle. I have a drop pitman arm but couldn't get the old one off. Broke a cheap puller. Then got a post from someone that pointed out that the drop arm is shorter than stock and slowed down their steering ratio. So I am delaying install.

I'd like to know if the joints can bind and damage themselves if you don't install the drop arm.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:53 AM

Shock install will not affect alignment, but the rest of the work may have. An alignment may help improve tire wear and spot any problems. They are fairly inexpensive. Only thing they will likely adjust is the toe in and centre the steering wheel. The rest is too hard for them on a leaf spring vehical and should be right anyhow. The longer shackles take out some caster, but hopefully the steering wheel still self centres.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:59 AM
jsmith

I have 4" springs and 3/8" shackle. The dropped pitman arm definitely improved the steering. After the lift, I was not able to flat tow because of the change in caster. I shimmed the front to get some caster back, only 2 degrees, and now I can flat tow, and the steering improved even more. You need a good puller to get the arm off. I borrowed one from a friend who has a shop. Just my two cents.

I'm not a Jeepaholic, I can stop jeepin any time I want.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 01:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

more than likely that old arm will not come right off.. if its being stubborn.. put the puller on real tight.. like you cant get it much tighter.. and let it sit overnight.. then come out and hit it a few times with a BFH and it should come right off.. that is usually my last resort.. unless i have a torch handy.. then i heat it up.. and persuade it that way..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I broke an assortment of rented and borrowed [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] pullers before resorting to cutting mine. I did not want to use heat near the steering box. If you cut through the side of the arm at the spline, then split it open, it'll come off.

As for alignment, no, with a standard steering design, where there is one solid connecting link that links the 2 wheels together. If you have a system where the link that connects the 2 wheels is not the same part (I think TJs have a systsem like this, but I'm not sure) then it would need to be aligned.

You should be all set.

As for the need for the drop pitman, yes, I believe that you can get to too great an angle for the end joints to work in. Just like a u-joint, I think less angle on these links is better.

Good luck
Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...gyver/jeep.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 4" kit came with a drop arm - went on very nicely but now my turning radius is considerable changed - larger. Looks like they would get the geometry correct to eliminate this type of situation. My kit was from 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse. My 78CJ7 also is a little squirley at all speeds.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not sure on the companys springs you used but with my 4in superlift the drop pitman arm wouldnt work. The steering bar was just touching the springs and it didnt center the wheel. With the stock pitman arm on, the steering bar is up higher and out of the way of stumps and if you have rocks. Yes i do have bump steer but i think that has more to do with the caster being off. As said before i also lost some steering radius and that just doesnt work for me.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode