Durabak is GREAT!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Durabak is GREAT!!!

Oh My God - I can Post to the board again! I haven't been able to for weeks! Weird... Anyway - I just did the tub of my CJ-7 with Durabak and it is GREAT! I was extremely anal about the prep, and it seems to have paid off because the adhesion is probably better than any other paint I have ever used. The only problem is that I put it on really thick with a brush, and a gallon didn't even come close, so I'm in for 2 gallons now but think it's well worth it.

My truck is Rhino-lined, and I think that's why I was putting this stuff on so thick. I got one whole brushed first coat out of a gallon, and a second coat on the front footwells, tailgate, and rear bed floor and then was out. I may never have the cage out again, so I bit the bullet and got another gallon and plan a good thick second coat on everything, and then maybe a third on the rear floor and foortwells. This first coat was near impossible to get the rubber particles to have a nice even texture, but the second coat is PERFECT! It turned out WAY better than I ever expected, and I am very happy. Also, the guys at Cote-L are great to deal with - I highly recommend the product! I also highly recommend 2 gallons and a very thick application with a brush...

I tried the little stipple rollers that came with it and that sucked. They pull the stuff up into little sharp mountains, and I just thought that was not going to cut it and that those little peaks would be prone to wearing off. So, I brushed the first coat, but per their directions, more like "applied" it with the brush rather than brushing it out. This still left the whole first coat with a very uneven surface in regards to the rubber particles - some areas had alot and some had nearly none, and I WAS mixing it with the paint stirrer on the drill like every 5 minutes. It took me 2/3 of a gallon to do the entire inner tub, floor and walls and firewall, plus the tailgate and trans cover with one coat.

So then I'm thinking, "Well, that's about right with paint, the second coat should go farther because usually the first coat gets soaked up, etc..." Wrong! With Durabak, you're applying the first coat to a smooth surface, but the second coat to a rough surface - just the exact opposite of most other painting projects, so the 1/3 gallon that I had left only did a second coat on the tailgate and bed floor, and then I just put the little bit that was left on the front foot areas and figured that's going to have to do.

The problem is that the areas with 2 coats look so great I couldn't stand it! I kept making Janie come out to the garage to look at it... Whereas the first coat is blotchy as far as the rubber particles goes, the second coat is a totally uniform, thick, professional looking job. Also, on the second coat, it really went on thick and smoothed out all of the patch panels welds so that it's like the patches are not even there - BIG plus!

So after brooding over the areas that were one coat for a week, I just broke down and ordered a second gallon and plan to second coat everything and then start on a third coat for the floors until it is all gone. Based on what I've seen, I think that 2 gallons is going to give me the nice thick coat I need on the whole tub with damn little left over.

I got into all this thick coat trouble because of the Rhino liner like I said, but they wanted $450 to do the Jeep, and I'm in this for $230 and am happy - the Jeep tub was just not worthy of a $450 liner... And - I think the thick coat with Durabak is the real key to a great job.

Rarely does something wildly exceed my expectations like this - I just wanted to share the fun. Get Durabak and apply it thick with a big brush, stirring often. I used the grey on my Dark Green Jeep, and it makes that "trail bomb" look brand new! :-) Happy Holidays! - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Durabak is GREAT!!!

Whats the diffrance in durabank and Herculiner. Herculiner is 89.99 for the kit at the local Farm and Fleet. I heard
this will do the whole jeep and you will have left overs.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I heard Herculiner was the same, and I heard it was not... I think it's probably either the same or 95% the same - I'm sure you'll get the same coverage out of a gallon.

How far it goes depends on what you're doing. I did everything - floors, walls, firewall, tailgate, etc. I've seen guys do just the floor and on a nice neat new tub, that looks great. My tub did not fit that category... If you were just doing the front and rear floors, yes, one gallon would do nicely with two nice thick coats.

If, you're doing everything that even remotely qualifies as inside the tub like I did, then get 2 gallons.

Finally, the reason I chose Durabak over Herculiner was reputation based on what I heard on this board. I had heard people complain about Herculiner, but never Durabak. And - both products were portrayed as NEVER coming off - so based on that, I bought the one that seemed better - don't want to take chances on something that NEVER comes off, right? I'm a real big fan of "You get what you pay for..."

Plus, the guys at Cote-L were really great with Customer service, help, and they even gave me a slight "volume discount" on the second gallon. This really beats buying something off the shelf at K-Mart. Their shipping was lightning fast as well, and it came in lots of colors. Stick with Durabak - you'll be glad you did.

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:33 AM

herculiner is that same thing as durabak i called the company. the only diff. is that durabak is advalible in colors.

78 cj7 for sale (insert tears here).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:03 PM

I used durabak also on mine, I needed about 1 1/2 gallons to get it on thick and even. After I was finished I also applied a light, even, coat of gray, black and white trunk coating spray paint. It gave it an awsome appearance. Very uniform and consistent looking. Mine has been on now for about 6 months and holding up extremely well, even in the traffic areas. I would use it again for sure. Prep work is the key, and,...Oh dont forget to be very carefull not to get much on you, the stuff just about has to be surgicaly removed or just grow out to come off, I think I still have some in my eyebrows from 6 months ago. It sticks to everything.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:43 PM
Reaver

Has anyone tried putting Durabak on the exterior of a tub.
I`ve seen the pics on the Durabak site and the look pretty good, but has anyone tried it ( and got any pics ) as this is something I have been thinking about. ( If i could get hold of the stuff over here. )

Cheers.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Durabak vs. Herculiner. HMMMM. I had to use both.

The Durabak stuff is slightly better IMHO. That is, if you can get it in the right color. My first gallon of bedliner was Durabak tan. It was orange(like a basketball). I thought that when it dried it would have to change colors, like many other paints. Well to make a long story short, it didn't. The sales person didn't tell me that the color wasn't tan but orange, until I called and complained. The Durabak is more rubberlike though(they use recycled rubber granules for the filler).

The Herculiner is nice too. But comes in limited colors(red, grey, black, and white are available on their website; but I have only seen black in stores such as K-Mart). Herc. is much rougher(feels like 40 grit sandpaper) than Durabak, but I still like it(very skid resistant).

Both stick unbelievably well. But both take alot of prep.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ, NV4500, XD9000i, 35" MT/R, Snorkle, 4.5" RE lift, Tera Revolvers, etc. etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By the way - has anyone used Durabak on their roll-cage? I'm not sure how I'd feel about the "non-slip" surface features on my roll-cage, but I sure do love the adhesion, and my roll-cage seems to need painting all the time so this could solve that!

Chuck Hadley
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 01:20 PM

Chuck for my roll cage, I used Duplicolor truck bed spray liner. Prep the cage well with sandpaper then rub it down with rubbing alcohol, then apply the Duplicolor truck bed spray on liner in thin smooth coats. The stuff is not strong enough to be used in a bed liner, but it sticks awsome to metal surfaces(better than primer), it is very durable for these types of applications. After it is dry rub it down with alcohol and paint with what ever color you want(the bed liner spray paint only comes in black), I like to use Platicote Epoxy. The cool thing is that the bed liner paint has a texture to it and covered with a color afterwards looks just like powder coat. Mine has been on for close to to 2 years and still looks great.

Jeff
89 YJ
If at 1st you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:52 PM
sheesley

Durabak is the exact same thing as Herculiner. Buy the cheap spray gun for $15 and you will use a lot less to cover a large area. I did my fireall and whole interior with 1 gallon of red. You can also paint and clear coat over it to preserve the finish and prevent UV fading.

~~TIM~~

I hate signatures!

[img]C:\my documents\widerisbetterjpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode