Need Help, Buying an XJ UPDATE !!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Need Help, Buying an XJ UPDATE !!!

I wanted to thank everyone who gave advise in helping me to pick out a new used Cherokee. This is what I ended up buying yesterday...

1991 Cherokee Limited, 4 liter HO, auto trans, select-trac t-case, 101,000 miles, all power, leather, alloys etc.

...it runs and drives great, and makes no noise. There is a little rust on the outside that I'll get to this spring but overall a very solid Jeep. The Limited was a higher option package than I was looking for but I couldn't pass it up for the price. It also had the lowest miles of any one I looked at! This should carry me around for a few years anyways. Thanks again, especially [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]CJDave[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] for all the tech advise about the 4wd systems available in thos years of XJ's.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
1991 Cherokee Limited
2000 Durango SLT

If it's tourist season...why can't we shoot 'em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need Help, Buying an XJ UPDATE !!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] That Jeep is gonna MAKE YOU HAPPY! Remember....the ring and pinion in the front is kind of small, so save the FWD GREEN for those slippery, yukky days; use FWD ORANGE for the deep, impossiblemud; and run 2WD in the dry, warm weather. And one more thing.....heh heh.... NEVER get the automatic transmission and the transfer case in Neutral at the same time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Heh heh.....it will be time to shut off the engine and start over[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the tip on neutral/neutral[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]...never thought about it! We had 11" of snow today (not a typo...eleven inches![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]) and I'm lovin' this XJ!
BTW, you must have a manual CJDave, what are trouble codes 12, 15, and 21 for. I just pulled the codes tonight and thats what I got (as well as the code 55 for the end of codes). Thanks!

Mike H.
1991 Cherokee Limited
2000 Durango SLT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] On the '97 ZJ, the codes are; 12=Problem with the battery connection. Direct battery input to controller disconnected within the last 50 ignition key-ons...../////....15=A problem with the vehicle distance/speed signal;. No distance/speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions....../////.....21=Problem with oxygen sensor signal circuit. Sensor voltage to computer not fluctuating........//////.....55=Completion of fault code display on CHECK ENGINE lamp. This is an END of message code.....///////.......and then there is 88 which means that you have just driven by a Ferd exploder in snow while the guy is hopelessly trying to engage the FWD by pushing the yuppie button.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:31 AM

Just a related FYI for anyone else shopping or looking for info on XJ's (I'm probably going to pick up a '92-'95 for my wife next month), there's an excellent resource on the web at http://www.naxja.org

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Dave, the 15 makes sense because my spedo kinda' comes and goes, so I think I have a bad speed sensor. Code 12 probably came from the XJ sitting in his driveway for a while and loosing batt voltage. Code 21 I'll have to check into.
I think Chrysler used the same codes for just about ALL of their computer controlled vehicles so these numbers (although for your 97 Grand) are probably right on the money! Thanks again!

Mike H.
1991 Cherokee Limited
2000 Durango SLT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode