Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 07:32 PM
Reaver

Questions

I`ve decided not to sell my 78 CJ just yet and completely rebuild my 82 CJ7 Laredo into a serious off-roader I`ll be working with a friend who is a mechanic, unfortunately he doesn`t know too much about jeeps, so I`ve got a few questions to ask before we start ripping her apart.
1) Is an SOA the best way to get maximum axle travel?
2)How do I tell if my CJ is a wide track?
3)what do stock Cherokee axles (44/60)( uncut ) look like on a CJ with 35"ers
4) My 78 CJ will just be a road cruiser will I need to upgrade the axles to fit 35"ers on her? I`ve read somewhere that you can just upgrade the splines to make the stronger is this true?
I know these questions are probably pretty academic but I`d appreciate any help I could get.

Cheers.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 08:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Questions

first.. the street cruisers.. no.. you dont need to upgrade the axles.. maybe put some one piece shafts in the rear.. for alittle insurance..
now.. soa.. yes.. to that question.. and if you go that route i would also recommend the shackle reversal.. you can make these yourself.. if you have excess to a torch and welder.. and a grinder.. drill.. i did mine myself.. and it works great.. but you will have to do something with the steering... i will be putting chevy knuckles on the wagoneer d44.. and doing the high steer setup.. that i am also making myself and with a little help from some machinest at work.. for now.. i have some homemade brackets on there.. it works for off road.. but its not the safest thing on the street.. i can get around.. its just work.. now.. these axles.. a d60 out of a cherokee.. i havent heard of this.. unless someone put it in.. they didnt come with one.. probably a 44.. and i think they are the perfect width.. i have pics on the web site.. but i am also running 12" rims.. with 16.5" wide boggers.. so they hang out.. with 12" they wont hang out as far.. put some extended fender flares on and it should be good.. 1982.. they changed over to wide track axles.. so if yours a stock..then they are wide track..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>*I`ve decided not to sell my 78 CJ just yet and completely rebuild my 82 CJ7 Laredo into a serious off-roader </font color=blue>
<font color=green>*My 78 CJ will just be a road cruiser </font color=green>
Jeepgod - if he's just going to be on-road mostly... dont you think a Spring-Over might be more of a pain? How about some flexy custom springs? Get some Shocks to Match the F/R and Shackle Reversal and your set..
Like Jeepgod said if your only going to run it on-road dont waste the money on the swap on axles.. Goodluck

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'78 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:57 AM
Reaver

Thanks for the info guys,
Its nice to know I don`t have to upgrade the axles for the street, I can save them for the off-roader.
I`ll keep you posted.

Cheers.
Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode