InterArms - OT Gun Post - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

InterArms - OT Gun Post

Hello,

I know that many of your are very much into firearms. I am looking to purchase my first pistol and I only have about $300 so I know that I am looking at used guns to start. I have run across I .40 cal semi made by a Spanish manufactired called STAR arms and it was imported by a company called InterArms in Virginia. The asking price is $229 and it comes with 4 extra clips. Does anyone know anything about these guns? Are they a reliable decent shooting gun? I am not looking to win any target shooting contests just looking for a good cary gun. I have been around guns since I was 5 years old but I have never owned a hand gun. Please let me know.

Kris

When I bought my Jeep it was exactly what I wanted...and I haven't stop changing it since!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: InterArms - OT Gun Post

This is a good gun for the money. Not the lightest, not the best but overall a reliable piece. I own the Star Firestar in 9mm (a compact model) and it shoots well and has been reliable through about 3 boxes of ammo. No complaints other than it is a little on the heavy side. I like the firestar because without the clip inserted (even if there is a round in the chamber) it will not shoot plus - it has a thumb safety as well.

CB

Politicians love unarmed serfs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 03:31 PM
joeybcdt

Star has made some decent handguns. You didn't say which model you're looking at.

If you're looking for your 1st and only carry-gun, I'd suggest skipping the Star. Your life is worth much more than the few dollars you'll save on a cheap piece. Then again, ANY handgun is better than NO handgun. And the only handgun worth its weight in peanut brittle is the handgun you will actually carry. A Sig in the desk is useless on the street.

A S&W J frame is an excellent choice. And you should be able to pick one up used for under $300.00. Other than that, save some more cash. I like a single stack .40S&W for most occasions. On the hottest of days, I like my tricked out Colt Pony .380. The .380 is really lighter than I like to go. But, it's better than nothing.

I like handguns manufactured by Sig, Glock, and regrettfully, S&W. I own a few 1911's, but they have been smithed extensively.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok so what is you opinion on a Ruger, between that and the Star. I have run across two or three different Rugers all in 9mm though and I was told to go for the .40 cal if I could. I also say a 9mm S&W with to hi cap clips for $289. Let me know what you opinion is. I like the size and the way the Star fits in my hand.

When I bought my Jeep it was exactly what I wanted...and I haven't stop changing it since!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Star is OK. You may have a little difficulty if you ever need anything repaired on it though. Like the earlier post, a little heavy, but OK.

All Rugers are well made. Also a little heavy and bulky for concealed carry, but very well made. Quality and reliability are trademarks of Rugers. And they are easy to get serviced almost anywhere in the USA.

S&W made some nice guns, but I never cared for their modern autos as much as their revolvers. However, some people swear by them. The newer S&W autos just never felt right to me...personal preference. (I will never buy another S&W after they caved in to Washington...unforgiveable sin in my book)

Now to start a real debate, the issue between 9mm and .40 cal...for your first gun...nothing is wrong with the 9mm. Might even be some advantages there. Sure, 40 has more pop...that is both the good news and bad news. I'm not here to run down the 40 cal, but there is nothing at all wrong with the 9mm. Lighter, easier on you and the gun when fired, and plenty of oomph to do the job. Especially for concealed carry, nice caliber that 9mm. Sure, if I were an officer of the law and carrying a large service pistol where everybody could see it, I'd take the 40. But I'm not, and I do carry a concealed handgun, and it is one of a few different 9mm models, and occasionally a 380 when hiding it is a little more demanding and a little more of a challenge.

Just my .02!

Good luck. Buy guns often and plenty of them!

Turtle

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Star makes some pretty good guns at reasonable prices. As far as the caliber, everyone has an opinion and most of them have their merits. The .40 is, without a doubt, worthy of your consideration. I think they came up with that round to confuse the .45 vs 9mm issue. You get the best of both world, penetration and punch. Since you are planning on this being your carry gun you need to think of how and where you will carry it. In the winter you can carry practically anything but in the warmer times of the year a large frame auto can pose some concealment problems. I personally carry an AMT 45 Backup year round. It is small enough to stick in my pocket if need be or in a holster under a t-shirt. If you aren't totally familiar with using an auto it isn't a good time to learn when bad guys are doing bad things to you. Under stress you need to be able to operate the safety as well as handle three failures. Failure to feed, failure to fire, or failure to eject. The only thing to help you here is practice, practice, and more practice. An alternative would be to get a revolver. No safety to mess with and it is much more reliable than an auto. I bought my wife a S&W 60 .357 mag and it has never failed to function. I'd seriously consider a revolver such as the Ruger SP101 with a spurless hammer for your application. The most important thing you can do after getting your gun is to join the NRA so that you can keep it. Good luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 07:21 PM
joeybcdt

I agree with Turtle. On everything except the S&W preferences.

I'll add: If you go with S&W, only the 3rd generations have shown to be reliable. I suspect that the S&W you've found to be the 59. Unreliable and very inacurate. If it's a 39, buy it immediately. It's somewhat collectible.

Rugers are just tooo large for concealed carry. Think small, thin, rounded.

Kahr's are also a good choice in 9mm or .40. They are cheap and the Reverend Moon will appreciate the purchase.

S&W 3913 or 4013 or any J frame revolver
Sig 239 .357Sig or .40
The baby glocks carry great but are a real pain to shoot.

Forget the Stars. It sounds like this is your 1st handgun. The Stars are all single action aren't they? I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a SA handgun to anyone other than a very well trained pistolero.

When you find something else you're interested in, be sure to get the model number. A Star Firestar is a lot different than a Star Model B.

As for the debate of 9mm vs .40S&W.....always carry the largest caliber that you can conceal well and shoot well. .380 at the bottem. .45ACP on the heavy end.

Joey

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 08:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am not as knowledgable to most people about guns, but i onw a H&K USP 40. I love it. It is a little pricey, but i got it for a good deal and it is my first handgun also. I have friends with 1911a and they always wanted to fly out of my hands. I don't have thick hands, but long fingers and the feel of the H&K was very comfortable, and my favorite part of the USP 40 is the magazine eject lever. It is on the bottom rear of the trigger guard and it is a very good gun to change clips in a quick time frame, but like evryone else says it is only as goos as you know it. I practise with mine alot and feel real comfortable with it. Another drawback to it is that i got the fullsize model and it is too big for me to carry concealed. I will be in the market soon for a compact 40. I am trying to keep the same caliber guns so not to get confused with multiple caliber ammo.

My mom on the other hand a S&W ultralight. It is hammerless, in 38 caliber and to me is a great gun. It is lightweight, and simple to fire. I will seariously look at getting one of these pistols, because it is just a great carry gun. Just though I will add my two cents.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Joey, you and I probably wouldn't dissagree that much. The S&W autos I fired were the first of the new autos that they came out with in the mid 80's (may have been a 59...not sure as I'm just not as familiar with S&W models). Never tried the later generations. I have no problem with the 39s, older S&W's from the 60's and early 70's. And I love the older S&W revolvers! I was a bit turned off in the 80's by the square boxy design of the autos with poor quality to boot. I got several cuts from burrs on guns straight out of the box from S&W firearms in the 80's (revolvers and autos). It probably influenced my comfort and perception in general. I wanted to like the S&W autos as they looked awesome at that time. But they never felt right in my hand for me, and I never could hit as well as I could with other makes/models. But I had a very good friend that had one and he was deadly with it. It was his favorite gun. Different strokes for different folks kind of thing. I'm not saying they were a bad design, they just weren't for me. And in all fairness, if I had tried the later generations, my view may have changed. I had limited exposure to them. And there were plenty of other makes/models that worked well for me. (Although S&W did have some serious quality problems in the 80's. And that isn't just my opinion, that is pretty much a view held by many. Although I can't say so for sure, I suspect it is even a fact. eg. burrs on guns straight out of the box...shame!)

I have no problem with 45, 9mm, 40, and 380. They all have their place. Nobody is going to feel comfortable facing anyone with one of these calibers in the hands of someone that can use them and place a shot accurately. Yes, carry the largest caliber you can conceal comfortably.

For concealed carry, the pivotal word is concealed. And down here in Texas, we don't usually wear much clothing (although lately with ice and snow, concealed carry is a snap). So the challenge is to conceal. Smaller and lighter is better. As Joey said, "think small, thin, rounded".

Although I have owned Rugers, I have only carried a Ruger a few times. It is a great sidearm, but it is too heavy and bulky for concealed carry. And I never carry a Star. I was trying to be a little too polite and subtle on the issue, and thought I might as well just be a little more clear/direct on the subject. And I also agree with you on the baby Glocks...they look and feel like someone cut the grip off with a chainsaw...horrible ergonomics. However, I'd rather have a Star than nothing if I needed it!

In summary, I agree with Joey, although I still reserve the right to never purchase another S&W again for their failure to uphold the second ammendment as sacred and not to be tampered with, even a little bit at a time!

Enough for now.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Turtle

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 09:33 PM

With my duties with the sherriff dept, I carry the S&W 669. which is a small frame 9mm. Most others carry the 40. As far as calibur you will really only need the firepower once in your lifetime so carry a frame that will ride comfortable. In uniform it will be the nine on the belt but plain clothes I choose a 380 small frame. something alone the lines of a Walter P. In close range a 380 has plenty of stopping power. As a carry, a 380. As a collection a 9,40,45, phyton, dessert eagle,1911, etc.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode