Whats up with my AX-15? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Whats up with my AX-15?

Ok heres my story. I have a 95XJ with an AX-15 5 speed and 120K miles. Worked great up till the past few days when it has been doing something odd. At idle sometimes I can't shift it into any gear without a lot of force. No grinding though. This will happen once and then maybe not for the rest of the day. It hasn't even happened enough for me to troubleshoot it. Also when it's cold(like it sat out in the snow all night) the clutch is real stiff. So I'm thinking that maybe the seals in the clutch master and slave are on the way out from me pushing the clutch in when the brake fluid in the hydraulics is still a bit thick from the cold. Either that or there is water in the system and acording to my FSM you can't bleed the system it's just R&R. So basicly what I'm asking about my problem is, is it the driver, the cold(as in it's not gonna do it in the hot don't worry about it) the tranny(god I hope not) or the hydraulic clutch mechanisim? Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Whats up with my AX-15?

I've got the same transmission in my 1990 YJ. I have had a somewhat similar problem over the years, really since I first bought it. Sometimes the gears are VERY hard to shift, specifically getting into first gear from a full stop. My brain has fashioned a workaround and I've found that if I shift into third, THEN into first, I can work around it -- it's second nature to me to do that now. Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to shift it into ANY gear that will work, roll it a little, and then it will shift into first ok. Not a huge pain, and nothing I want to spend a lot of money on to fix. Really sucks when it happens at a stoplight going up a hill though, especially when the idiot behind me stopped right on my tail. Sometimes a third foot would be handy ...

DesertRat

90 YJ, 258 I6. Weber 32/36, the rest is stock Sahara.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well I'm hoping it's only the cold because it didn't do it all summer. Or even once it's good and warmed up. It's got fresh 75W-90 in it by the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its a combination of the fresh gear oil and the cold, most likely. The new gear oil is thicker and the cold makes it even thicker, thats why it doesn't do it in the summer or after it has warmed up. Mine acts the same way and I am thinking of switching to RED-LINE synthetic gear oil.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 08:37 AM
Carey

I had the same problem with my 95 YJ and with my 97 TJ. Something I discovered is that part of the problem going into second gear was, due to the cold, the shift boot on the inside was too stiff and would push the shifter forward if I did not hold it in place. My TJ does this both in second and in reverse. Once it warms up and the boot is plyable again it goes away. I agree with the new gear lube adding to it. It is even worse if you use 90W gear oil.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode