4WD speed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 09:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4WD speed

I am relatively new to 4WD vehicles, got a '83 Jeep CJ7 this summer. My question is , when in 4WD High, what is the maaximum speed ya should run if conditions allow it, like from snow on the pavement to clear spots, do i need to stop and lock or unlock the hubs and shift from 4wd when I go from ice or snow to clear pavement and vice versa? Thanks in advance.

"83 CJ7, 258 IL6,T4, mostly stock, nutter by-pass,TF ignition upgrade, MSD,K&N

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4WD speed

4WD high will run at the same speed as 2WD. DON'T drive on dry pavement in 4WD, pop it back into 2WD on dry spots. If you don't have a locker up front you can leave the hubs locked, though.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: 4WD speed

Well, the jeep should be able to go whatever speed you want in 4WD, depending on traction. If the roads are snowy, level, and have a good grip, I usually stay around 45 mph. Otherwise I shift out of 4WD and run in 2WD, if conditions warrant 45 mph, you probably don't need 4WD. Yes, you should be able to keep the front hubs locked in while driving, even in the summer. It does put wear on the front end, as well as rob power, but it shouldn't hurt anything. The D300 isn't a great case for shifting on the fly, but if you push in the clutch and let the RPM's drop (not under a load), then it may shift out, but I doubt it at speeds much above 20 mph. Of course, that may just be my old transfer case as well. If the roads are patchy, like they get up here, running in 4WD for short stretches won't hurt the 4WD, as long as it's not for a long distance. Running with the hubs locked in is a good idea, especially in the summer. It lubes them up so they don't stick, and you can find out if your U-joints have gone dry (like the one on the front of my '95 Trooper did, found out yesterday when I needed 4WD). Luckily I got it changed out in time for the Northeaster we're supposed to get this weekend.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode