Questions about CJ,TJ and YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Questions about CJ,TJ and YJ

I am a junior in high school and I'm starting to look for a used jeep. But do not know what the differences are in the CJ, TJ, and YJ. If someone could guild me as to what would be the best fit for me i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 11:39 PM

Re: Questions about CJ,TJ and YJ

Brad,
I would encourage you to do more research than I did; when you look at vehicles, take somebody impartial with you; it's easy to get "jeep fever" and overlook many things that will cost you many dollars after the purchase. Two references that will help you - the "Jeep Owner's Bible" by Moses Ludel would be a good resource both before your purchase and during your ownership. And this page http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/specgrid.htm will help you with evaluating drivetrain and engine options and components.

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright, CJs are the older Jeeps with round headlights. They have an AMC 20 rear (some have D44, but they're hard to find) which is a good rear axle if equiped with one piece axles, a D30 front which is good as long as you don't have extreme horsepower and keep tires under 35". Transfer cases are the Dana 300 (highly recommended), and the Dana 20 (?) which is acceptable. The 3 speed manual T-18 is fairly tough. The 258 straight 6 is tough and torquey. The 304 has more horsepower but isn't as bulletproof. CJs are leaf sprung all the way around. Main weak points are mainly due to age (bad frame, worn out, abused, etc.). Watch for sloppy transmissions, body and frame rot, signs of abuse, and all other things you look for in a 20 year old used vehicle. YJs have alot of the same features as the CJ; just look for square headlights. The frame is beefier, but the rear axle is a Dana 35 with C clips. When the C clips break, nothing is there to retain the axle. For any extreme wheeling this axle needs to be seriously upgraded or replaced; it should be fine for a daily driver. Front axle is still the Dana 30. 5 speed transmissions by Peugot are a piece of [censored]. Same 358 is used until '90, when it is replaced by the 4.0. The 4.0 has alot more horsepower, is fuel injected, and has alot more driveability (highly recommended). Not sure about YJ transfer cases, but I've never heard of any serious problems from one. It is also leaf sprung all the way around. For the hardcore offroader who doesn't need a daily driver, the CJ is generally preferred. This isn't to say that the YJ is not able to do extreme wheeling; it's just that CJs are generally cheaper, have less electronics, and are more bulletproof. That brings us to the TJ. It is the newest Wrangler and has round lights like the CJ. In my opinion, this is the greatest Jeep ever. It has the Dana 35 rear (but is available with the Dana 44 in certain years, these are highly sought after) and Dana 30 front. These axles (especially the D44) are fine with up to 35" tires. Not sure about details on tranny or tranfer case, but I haven't heard of any problems. Unlike previous Jeeps, the TJ is coil srung all the way around. This leads to a much better highway ride and more articulation offroad. The TJ can easily ramp 1000 with a bolt on suspension lift. However, these lifts are usually twice as much as CJ or YJ lifts. The engine to look for is the 4.0. If you want a weekend offroader - get a CJ. If you don't have alot of $$$, want a Jeep, need a daily driver, and don't care much for comfort - get a YJ. However, if you can afford it - get a properly equipped TJ and have fun. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions send me a private message.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 08:30 PM
I Do This For The Glory

In order to answer your question, we need to know a few more:

1) What do you plan on doing with it? Wheeling? How hard? Daily driver?

2) Are you going to modify it, and if so, to what extent? How much money are you going to spend on mods.

3) How much money are you looking to spend on the jeep?

4) Are you mechanically inclined? Can you do engine swaps, tranny swaps, and axle upgrades?

Each of these questions will help us determine which way you should start looking, and for what years. There are many differences in years, as well as models. To me, the largest consideration is the rust on the jeeps and how much money you're going to spend.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry i haven't replied sooner. I was doing a little skiing over the winter break and didn't have access to a computer. But anyways, the Jeep will be a daily driver in Wisconsin. But i will definatly do some wheeling, seeing as i have already taken my parents Durango out and gotten her stuck a couple of times. I would probably do a little modifacation to it (lift, big tires, anything to make it trail worthy),but nothing to extreme. I'm hoping to spend less than 10,000 all together, but am guessing that after i've had her for awhile i'll do some more upgrades. Mechanically I'm ok and improving, currently i'm taking an auto tech class in school. I've become a pro with body work, we're doing the electrical system right now and soon we're gonna start working on the engine and the insides. So I have access to any tools, lifts, and a very knowledgable teacher. Thanks abunch!

B rad
Madison,WI

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 05:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, I'd forget about the TJ, they're in the $10K range already for a used one. But then again, they'll be the nicest to drive and are the most capable in their stock form. Unfortunately, they're also the most expensive to lift. They are very nice, if you find a cheap one, I recommend them, our '97 has been awesome. If you can find a 6 cyl under $10K, I'd snag it, with some 31's and swaybar disconnects, it's awesome. The Tj was offered with the rear D44 axle, the strongest offered in a short jeep, but good luck finding one in your price range.

The YJ is a good jeep. Unfortunately the axles that came with them left a little to be desired. The TJ is similar, but the axles are a little better (the rear is the same). The body is galvanized, so they aren't prone to rusting out, and the drivetrain is OK, so long as you stay away from the '87-'89 5 speeds with a 6 cyl. The 4.0L engine was introduced in the early 90's, and it's a good motor. The 6 cyl and 4 cyl's only get 2 mpg apart, so the 4 cyl works a lot harder on the highway. Lift kits are farily cheap, as are other mods.

The CJ's are fine, but for a daily driver they are a little stiff. The bodies also tend to rust easily, but the drivetrain is a little stronger. A lot is available aftermarket for them as well.

I'd recommend the '95 TJ or a '97 TJ for your use, preferably the TJ. Throw some 31's on it, disconnect the swaybar and get the 2" spacer lift, and have some fun. It's quiet, reliable, and smooth over the road. I'll see if I can find some links to TJ's under 10K to see if they exist.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 08:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Found a few under $10K (like 128 of them), all TJ's. I looked up your zip code, and found 6 of them within 200 miles, including a TJ Sport, which I highly recommend. Go to http://www.autotrader.com/. Also try your local swap and sell it guide, and the local classifieds.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

chicks dig guys in cjs more.

cjs are just generally more jeep than the yjs or tjs.
jeep meaning just empty every pocket. owing a cj is a hobby. you sweat you bleed jeep, you are a real jeep owner.

some times i think "god it would be nice to jump in to a nice fuleinjected wrangler right now". but then quickly snap out of it.

its all in what you want. if you going to do light off roading. and more on road crusing around town. then a yj with a 2.5 inch lift and 31 inch tires it the way to go.

if you want to become one with you jeep. get a cj you will become blood brothers shearing rust and grease with blood and sweat.

its very hard to find a reliable restored cj. but if you got 10,000 bucks laying around. then you can find one serious kick ass cj7. will all the goodies.

if i were you which i'm not but if i were. and had 10 grand to spend. i get on the web and search for weeks for the coolest. best restored. and rebuild cj7. figure spending 7,500 to 8,000 for a perfect cj. then ship to where you live. hell if found one for 8 grand fly out to where ever it is and drive it home.

i have an 80 cj7 with a 304 v8 and a 5 speed tranny. and its getting pretty reliable. i have driven it from colorado to NY state and back 3 times so far and havnt had any problems. but thats because i fixed it up and made it more reliable. i just keep thinking if i had 10 grand i could have the coolest cj
thats my 2 cents

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 03:15 AM
Old Hand

I would agree with MikeCJ7. It sounds like you will get the Jeep fever big time. You are already taking a shop class, have access to tools, etc. I agree that the TJs are the nicest, most capable jeeps stock, but what about finding a sweet CJ7 with some of the expensive stuff done already. Don't worry, you will have plenty of opportunities to work on it and build it even better, but I think you will find something awesome for $8K and then that will leave you with a little room for repairs or upgrades.

Good Luck.

btw, I had a wrangler and added up how much it would cost to get it where I wanted it and decided that a CJ could be done for cheaper.....plus the round headlights, what can I say?

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 09:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The keys here are daily driver and reliable. Mild wheeling as well. Sure, it's nice to have the biggest, baddest jeep in the land, but think of all the problems that pop up due to mods, stuff wearing out, and the trying to replace stuff when it dies. Heck, I'm going to write my own owner's manual for the Scrambler because otherwise "I" won't remember what stuff came from what vehicle.

Besides, it's worth a lot more to actually do your own mods, then you know how to repair them and why you're making the mod.

But, if I could find a later 80's CJ, with NV4500 tranny and D44 axles, for that price, I'd snag it as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode