Lockers/limited slip? And which one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Lockers/limited slip? And which one?

I've decided to treat myself to some sort of traction aiding devices for my newly built ride. Having never owned lockers/limited slip diffs before I am somewhat at a loss. The drivetrain is a relatively stock 30/20 combination. The only difference will be the addition of 1-piece axles in the 20 (decided to treat myself to those too). 33's with 3.31 gears/TF-999/and fresh 304. This rig will probably never see any rockcrawling to speak of. Where I live(Ohio) mud and dirt/mud/snow covered hills will be the biggest challenge it is likely to see, off-road. It is my more or less dailey driver(for now) and during the winter will see the occasional snow covered road/highway. I would like something with decent on-road manners, very good off-road performance taking into account the the above listed likely off-road conditions, and something I can install myself without having to redo the ring and pinion. I realize that that last part at the very least rules out the detroits. What about the Powertrax lockers? Is there any functional or strength/performance difference between their new No Slip locker and the older standard model? Other than the old one gives you the ratcheting noises and the new one does not. I realize that given the budget(ARB's) or time(Ox-Lockers)to wait and see, the Powertrax is probably not the strongest or highest performance units to go with. I'm just curious as to what the consensus will be given my usage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 10:01 PM

Re: Lockers/limited slip? And which one?

Detroit makes the EZ-lockers, which are basically the same thing as a Lock-Rite. If you break it though, they will replace it free (but not cover whatever damage it may do to the gears, etc) or you can opt to pay the difference in price and get a Full-blown Detroit.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want something trouble free with no worry of breakage go with the Detroit Locker. It is not that difficult to install yourself, all you will need is a dial gauge and a selection of shims. The shims on the model 20 are outboard of the race, so they are easy to install, no bearing removal necessary. The only thing you need to reset is R&P backlash, it is a VERY easy thing to do. As far as for the front, given the type of driving you are saying you will do I would say an LS type unit for the front would be your best bet. For a full locker for the front I would go with a Lock Right. BTW, that is the combo I am running, Detroit rear, Lock Right front. I am not a big fan of the Lock Right, it uses the stock carrier, but it is inexpensive and I didn't feel like putting big bucks into a 30. If you want to spend big mondy then of course an ARB for the front is the best of all worlds.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 01:38 PM
RedSandDog

I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. I did my early Jeepin' in Iowa, where it sounds like similar off roadin'. Mud, mud and snow and then just more mud. In Iowa I had a Spicer PowerLock (which is a non-clutch pack type limited slip) in the rear of my '75, and it did a good job off road, decent on the snow, and real good regular road manners. After a while I put another PowerLock in the front, and it did better off road (but when you get stuck in gumbo you are way stuck), still OK on the road (little more steering effort), but scary on the snow (it didn't want to turn left or right so much). All told I would leave the front open if I was to do it again.

I have a locker in the rear of my Jeep out here in AZ, and am not real crazy about the on road manners. It is great off road, but a little weird on the street. It will have Detroits front and back, one day. It isn't a daily driver though.

Just my opinion, and I know it isn't the conventional wisdom to recommend anything but lockers, but the PowerLock is really easy to live with.

'74 CJ-5, 258, NP435, D44 w/LockRite
(OK, well the np435 is in the garage next to the Jeep)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 02:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

for snow.. stay away from a full blown locker.. you will be all over the place.. i have had some posi units in cars.. and they did alright... i would say stick with a posi.. in the rear.. and front.. if its a d30.. no use putting more money in it.. i have a friend running lock rites front and rear.. and he tears it up..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 02:38 PM

I like the Detroit Truetrack the best out of all the LSD that are out there. Course I'm kinda partial because this is what I'm running up front.

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well heres my .02 worth, I would recommend the detroit locker that is the carrier itself. Stay away from the lock-rights and the ones that install in place of the spider gears. I had one of those and it caused my jeep to wander a lot when under acel and decel and when it shifted gears. My detroit on the other hand makes it feel like a normal truck without all the wandering and is 200% quieter. I drive mostly on normal roads and hiways and believe me it made a world of a difference in the overall handling of my wrangler.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 06:52 PM

Whats a posi-locker?When I bought the cj the ad said locker..When I got there he said it had posi..and he said locker.I think he said posi locker..well anyways my dad told me posi and limited slip aren't the same thing..and posi is almost the same thing as a locker.What exactly is posi?

One day..not far from now.Your children will open A "Big Truck Book" with all the heavy machinary,bulldozers and all..then you will stand in awe at the site of my '76 CJ-5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks everyone for the input. For better or worse I went with the Powertrax No-Slips front and rear. I am confident enough that I can handle whatever quirks they may exhibit on-road and am not "too" concerned about the durability. I did some digging into magazine/internet articles and decided they would fit the bill. This rig won't see any serious, SERIOUS wheeling. I just want to make sure I get through some of the bigger mud puddles I may encounter when on the trail. If I do decide to get into more serious wheeling I can either build my scrambler into the Off-road Beasty or go ahead and do the CJ that these lockers went into. If I do the CJ it most likely means all new axles anyway and I'll just pop the old ones into the scrambler. Either way I'll get my use out of them.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

let us know how you like these .

FOR SALE: D35, 4.11, posi.
John-89YJ-350V8,35" swampers,EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal, swaybar/tracbar disconnects,SYE,cv shaft,4.11,locked frontD30,rocklock,need ford 8.8 soon,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode