I need some help identifying V6 conv bellhousings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I need some help identifying V6 conv bellhousings

I got a jeep about a month ago that came with two differnt types of bellhoudings. There is the standard BOP bellhousing that goes with a 1 1/2 inch spacer. Then there is another that looks like the space was cast with the bellhousing. It has an opening on both side for the throwout fork. Does anyone know about this bellhousing and what year it may be? I am bummed because the jeep didn't come with the spacer for the bellhousing. Does anyone have a spacer they want to get rid of? These bellhousing fit the buick v6 conversions. click on the link to see the pictues of the bellhousing.
http://www.geocities.com/higherresolutions/index.htm

Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "CAloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 02:15 PM

Re: I need some help identifying V6 conv bellhousings

Could one be a AMC and the other a GM?? On my 82 Scrambler, it came with a 151 mated to a SR4 that was used on the 258 straight six. Basically, it has the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern and had the bigger input shaft for the 258. A 229 Chevy 3.8 bolted right upto it, with the right clutch/pressure plate (68 Pontiac with a 307 V8) and flywheel (out of a 68 Camaro with a 396). Just a thought....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

It is definately a buick v6 housing. it is the same bolt pattern and size, i was just trying to ID it, because it is different than the others i have, and because it has opening on both sides for the clutch fork. Thanks for the reply

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont remember the reason why, but there were other buick bellhousings that had clutch fork openings on bothsides. Are there any kind of indentifying marks or numbers on the bellhouseings? If my frail memory serves me right the factory buick casting has a snow flake cast into it.

good luck, jjc

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

JJC,
I will get some numbers off it tomorrow. i am going to work on the body to get my jeep together.

Another question to throw out there. When was the last year of the V6's in CJ5's? I just got a jeep titled as a 73, but i though that is the year the I6 started. My Vin for the jeep is J3A89FV38292. The gas tank is under the seat. It has the 27 front and 44 two piece rear. I thought the later years also had the gas tank in the rear. I am thinking the jeep is a pieced together vehicle since i got the title and in magic marker is says " junked". I am hoping the Tax collector doesn't frown on the "Junked " markings and let me title the jeep. Since the word is written in magic marker, a less than official was of marking something.

Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 02:24 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

'71 was the last year for the 225 V-6. '72 and newer years were streched slightly to accomodate the additional 3 cylinders in a row for the AMC 232 & 258 I-6's. Dana 27 front ends were replaced with Dana 30's in '72 as well. Not sure when the gas tank stopped being under the seat. Mid year '70 is when the 19 spline two-piece tapered 44 was replaced with the 30 spline one-piece flanged 44.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Late model factory jeeps with V6s had two unique identifying features. First was a different grille shell to accomadate a bigger V6 radiator. Second, while the 4 cyl. jeeps kept the under seat tank through 1970, the V6 got a unique rear fuel tank, due to its greater fuel consumption.

jjc

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 11:01 AM

If my memory is correct I believe that's a 225 bell with built in adapter. Seems I read somewhere that they used a bolt on adapter for a while then incorperated it into the bellhousing. Might want to hit up the Jeepster board with this one. There's alot of knowlege about the V6 there.

Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I think what i got was a late 60's V6 CJ5 that was retitled. It has the ross steering, which is a beefier unit than what my 63 had. It has the large dual cyliner under floorboard master cylinder. The axles are 3.73 i think, or close to it. My friend read the tag which is still on the axles. Now i thinking about what to do with it. I could part it out, but it is a very complete vehicle and that would be a shame to take it off the road and out of the woods. I might try to get a late 60's jeep title and vin # and run as the older jeep it is or i might get it registered as the 73 which would be the incorrect year. So i might add another jeep to the stable and find a 73 with no title and give a title. To many jeeps to little time. And i still don't have my 63 back together. Boy am i keeping myself busy.
Thanks for the help guys

Dan STewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 09:24 AM
Carey

Dan, the shorter bellhousing was used with an adapter. The longer bellhousing is not the V6 bellhousing with the adapter built in. I have both. It could very possibly be a bellhousing from a Full Size Jeep. They used the Buick 350 V8 from 69-71. Both the Buick V6 and V8 use the same bellhousing pattern. This includes the Aluminum 215 V8 that Buick sold to Land Rover in the early 60's. The V8 version would have a different transmission pattern because the V6 was only mated to the T-86 and T14, both have the same pattern. The T-14 used with the straight six was an 8-1/2" input shaft vs. the 9-1/2" for the V6.
The V8 would have been mated to a T-15 3sp, T-98, or T-18 four speed most likely. The FSJ also used various different input shaft lengths. This may explain the use of fork holes on both sides. Place the bellhousing face down on the floor and measure to the top of the transmission mounting surface. It will probably measure 8-1/2". The V6 measures 9-1/2" either standard bellhousing and adapter or the one piece unit. The shorter bellhousing is a standard Buick car bellhousing but the pattern is a direct bolt up to the SM420 Chevy truck transmission, or any early GM car transmission. I am having the index bored out larger to fit the index of a SM465 that I have.

Whether true or not I recently heard that the reason Kaiser used the Buick engines was that their engine plant burned in 69. According to the story I heard this was a major factor in Kaiser selling Jeep to AMC in 1971.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode