Mopar or Howell - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 11:09 PM
Mudman

Mopar or Howell

I have been tinkering with the idea of going fuel injected and was wondering if any one has any input on which kit to get. I have a rebuilt 258 with what my mechanic called a RV cam and anything I read on the Mopar kit says it is not to be used on modified engines, does anyone know why?
Any input on this would be a great help.

if its clean, I aint having fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 10:42 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Mopar or Howell

You might want to consider Holley's Pro-Jection. I know a couple of people running it and they seem to really like it. The best part is that it is cheaper than the others.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 12:57 PM
Way Outta Control

Hesco/Mopar uses OEM itmes to manufacture the MPI kit. So that means the engine that the kit is to be put onto must also be as close as possible to OEM engine specs. They make no provisions to modify the computer to meet the needs of the modified cam. Howell will manufacture new Eproms for the computer in thier systems. Now that's not an inexpensive process. You'll probably have to put in an additional $200 to $300 to modify the chip. Howell would be able to give you a closer idea on the price.

So if you've got a modified engine... kiss Hesco/Mopar good by... it's not feasable to install the kit on the engine.

Were I to face the decision you're making... I'd look for a wrecked Jeep with a low mileage 4.0L as a donor vehicle. You'll be money ahead, and have all factory equimpent when done, if you've done the job right.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 09:18 PM
Mudman

So it seems the Howell kit is the way I should be thinking since My rebuilt engine only has about 12,000 on it right now. Others had suggested weber carb to me before but a buddy ofmine had one laying around after he blew his engine and I had it rebuilt and tired it on mine and never liked the way it ran, just couldnt get it to run right so I have been bouncing around the idea of fuel injection.
Thanks for the input.

if its clean, I aint having fun!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Howell kit is TBI (Throttle Body Injection) and the Mopar is MPI (Multi Port Injection). The Howell is the most economic of the two and the easiest to instal but the Mopar will give you the most increase in power and fuel economy. I personaly will be saving for the Mopar. It replaces more parts with newer more advanced tech and if I'm spending that kind of money, I want the most bang for my buck. The Howell system is realy good, you just need to decide whether you just want decent power gains and a more reliable engine or really decent power gains and a more reliable engine. If you have the cash to do the Mopar and want your Jeep to run like a slightly modified TJ, changing back to the stock cam isn't a problem.

'88 Sahara
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:59 PM
Addict

Go for an engine swap instead. It will be cheaper and have better performance in the long run.

I swapped in a 4.0. I've got about $1000 in all. The Mopar kit will cost you $1600 and you will have to swap the head just to keep it from pinging. Don't waste your money.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 35" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode