np 242 questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

np 242 questions

A guy will sell me a NP242 from a 90 Jeep that has what he says is a 4 speed automatic, i assume a overdrive?

,questions are

was there a 4 spd auto?
will a 4 speed auto bolt up to a 86 258?
if not, will a 242 bolt directly to my 86 999?
does a 90 242 have rear yoke or a slip joint?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 11:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: np 242 questions

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Our '97 ZJ has a 4.0.....a four speed auto with fourth being a .69:1 overdrive...and a NP242 case. The case is a slip yolk. That 242 case has 2WD....4WD Locked.....4WD Open.....Neutral....4WD Locked Low RAnge. A very good case in snow when you run in 4WD Open.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 11:59 AM

I don't think the auto you are talking about was used until after '93. I have never seen one in an XJ. But the one we had in our '93 ZJ worked flawlessly up to 170K when we sold it a few weeks ago.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ Dave/ChrisM

well i am still waiting to hear back from the guy that has it,he doesnt seem to mechanically inclined from what i gathered from his email,he may have
told me the wrong year.Maybe wrong Jeep.So that tranny,if it is a 4 speed,would bolt up to a 86 258 then right?
any problems forseen? that 4 speed isnt electronic is it?Shhhhhhh,and dont tell anyone,but it was wreaked at 76,000 and he only
wants 200.00 for the pair.I think this would be a good combo in a 4 dr Eagle,with the crappy T case now its better on road in snow and ice than other locking 4by's i have saw.Then adding a overdrive, a "lock 4x" when needed,plus a lo range.Couldnt ask for anything better in a daily driver,light offroad auto.
I dont think that slip spline would be any problem either since my rear drive shaft is about 4 foot long.How about you guys?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:14 PM

The tranny isn't electronic that I am aware of (unless its a "lock-up" tranny, then you may see wires coming off it), and it will bolt up to your 258. The 242 would bolt up to your current tranny just fine, but having that overdrive would be nice....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:49 PM

I believe that would be an AW-4 which I'm fairly certain has at least some electronic controls. I know it *can* be swapped into a 258 equipped Jeep (Parts Mike knows someone who runs that tranny in a CJ). I think the odds are fairly good that your T-999 would bolt up to the NP-242...worst case I can imagine would be needing a spacer ring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode