Valve Stem Seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Valve Stem Seals

Has anyone changed out their valve stem oil seals? Mine on my 79 304 are shot and i need to find some sort of guidance on replacing them. I am told that you put compressed air in the spark plug hole to keep the valve shut and then remove the spring and replace the seal, is it really this easy? they are only 69 cents a piece so i hope the job is easy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 11:19 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Valve Stem Seals

Well, what you're sayin' is true. The process you describe uses the air injected into the cylinder to hold the valves closed. You're going to be taking off the valve springs to put on the new seals. Without the air in the cylinder the valves would fall into the cylinder. There is another way to do the job, without an air compressor. here's how.

1. Buy some soft 1/8" cotton rope.
2. Remove the spark plugs.
3. On Cylinder Number one find the start of the compression stroke.
4. Hand roatate the engine untill the pistion is about 3/4 the way up the cylinder.
5. Insert the rope into the cylinder's spark plug hole.
6. Stuff the rope in till you've got as much in as you can.
7. Gently hand rotate the engine until the pision has compressed the rope all the way against the valve faces.
8. Now the pistion is holding the valves in place, cushioned by the rope.
9. Remove the springs and repalce the seals.
10. Gently hand rotate the engine in reverse so you can remove the rope.
11. Remove the rope.
12. Repeat steps 4 - 11 for the other 7 cylinders.

Happy Holidays and Safe Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you're awesome man, that sounds even cheaper, how easy is it to take out the old seals and put in the new ones, any special tools?.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 12:11 AM
Way Outta Control

The seals are just a rubber like seal that goes over the valve stem and keeps the oil from the rocker area from dripping down the valve stem into the cylinder. To change them all you have to do is:

1. Remove the Rocker arm.
2. Compress the spring (use a valve spring compression tool).
3. Remove the valve spring locks (sometimes called a Keeper). There are two of these per valve.
4. Remove the spring.
5. Just slip the valve stem seal off the stem.
6. Install the new seal on the stem.
7. Replace the spring over the stem.
8. Replace the valve spring locks (Keepers).
9. Remove the spring compressor tool, making sure the valve spring lock is in place.
10, Go on to the next valve.
11. Replace the rocker arm assembly.

As you can see, it's not a difficult job. It can be time consuming.

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:24 AM

I changed mine for the first time last summer. Larry has pretty much covered it to a tee. I just wanted to add that you also need a torque wrench to torque the rockers to the proper specs.
The first couple might frustrate you (they did me) depending on what kind of valve spring compressor you have. But after the 1st four or so you get pretty good at it. I stopped to have a victory beer after the first eight. The next eight went quick.

Have fun

-C

'79 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One last question, the seals i got kinda look like a plastic soda bottle cap, the guy at the parts store said it was glass filled plastic. they are hard plastic, is this right? or should this be rubber?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:58 AM
Way Outta Control

The ones that I've replaced are ridged, but at the same time pliable enough that they need to be force fitted over the valve stem.

Larry
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have an air compressor? If you do, the little hose you use to hold up the valve is real cheap and I recomend buying it. I oredered the valve hold up tool and a valve spring compressor from JC whitney when I done my first one and they where pretty inexpensive. I would recomend one of the magnetic pickup tools to remove the keepers once you have the spring compressed. One more hint is if your spring washers are kind of stuck to the keepers take a socket that is about the size of the spring washer and give it a shot with a hammer. it will usually break it loose. I have done one that wasn't stuck at all and I have done two that everyone of them was stuck pretty good. Everyone I have replaced has used the hard seals and they are called umbrella seals. All they do is let the oil rundown beside the valve guide instead of running directly on to the valve stem hole. I know drag racers that will remove the O-ring type and use the umbrellas.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A note, stuff pieces of rags into holes near where you are working,valve locks love to jump down any open hole it can find cover the rest of the head
with a rag too..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode