27a differential ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

27a differential ??

I have a 27a diff with 4.27 gears in the front of my CJ5. I question whether the diff is working properly. When I turn the front drive shaft only the left front wheel turns but with it on jack stands if I hold the left front wheel when turning the drive shaft niether wheel turns. How do I tell if there is a problem with the clutches within the diff? I assume it is a trac-lock. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:39 PM

Re: 27a differential ??

If its stock, it should be an open differential, not a limited-slip (Trac-Lock), and thus no clutches. When you hold the left tire and turn the driveshaft, the right tire should turn, since it has less traction. Perhaps the right axle-shaft is broken?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know that the right axle is not broken as I just rebuilt the u-joints. Is there anything else that would cause this? It seems that the drive should be more direct than it is. I took the cover off tonight and all of the gears look clean and there seems to be no play. Any other suggestions on what to check?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With the front axle on jack stand, put the T/C in 4WD (to lock the front drive shaft). lock the hubs in. Alternately try to turn each front wheel. The other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. If the other wheel does not spin, have someone else observe the movement of the side gears inside the pumkin, this will let you know wich side is broke. I will put my money on a locking hub that is: not locked, broke, or improperly assembled.

good luck, jjc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode