?? about T cases - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

?? about T cases

Ok, i read ALL NP transfer cases share the same mounting flange and bolt circle, is that right?
Also someone said in a post most V8 Jeeps used a 23 spline and 4 bangers used a 21. I thought all
manual's used 21 and auto tranny's used 23, which is correct?And do Dodge's and Fords with NP's share the
same mounting,bolt circle with Jeeps/Amc's?
I am in pursuit of a NP T case and knowing just what is what would sure help.Its going behind a AMC torqflite
in a Eagle so i can have a low range and a "locked" in 4x4 drive.It has a NP128 which is like the Jeep 207/231/229/etc with a now 23 spline.mounting,drivers side drop.
And has U joint Yokes front and rear.Everyone says a NP229 is a direct bolt in replacement and the best to use in a Eagle
but strickly Jeep parts, let alone a 229, is very few and far between around here so other models/makes that may work
will sure help in locating something. I have so many "may fits" my head is spinning. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 06:33 PM

Re: ?? about T cases

All NP cases do share the same flange and bolt circle, but input shafts spline counts are determined by the tranny it came behind. For instance my NP-231 came behind a BA-10 and had a 21-spline shaft. The same 'case from a newer Jeep with an AX-15 uses a 23-spline shaft. Some Ford 'cases have 32-spline shafts!
The 229 isn't that great a 'case, it was a full-time 4x4 deal with lockable center-diff, and reputedly cranky. Not too tough to find since they were used in the '83-86 Grand Wagoneers as the "Select-Trac". The 208 has all of the features your looking for, and came in a lot of the '80s full-size Jeep pick-ups. A 231 will work for you as well (provided it is a '90 or newer so it has the 23-spline input shaft) with a Slip-Yoke-Eliminator kit on it. The 231 is physically smaller than the 208, so it may be a better fit; it also has .11:1 more reduction than a 208, and a strong aftermarket. A 242 would be very nice in an Eagle (SX2 or 4?) since it has 2wd, 4wd, full-time 4x4, and 4-low (and the shift pattern is straight-back.) You can find the 242 in XJ Classic (optional) and Limiteds (standard) as the "Select-Trac" since '87, and it's the base-line 'case for 6-cyl ZJs

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ?? about T cases

ok,aLL NP's have the same bolt circle.That being said,what about the Fords, did any have 23 spline? if not i can scratch them off my list

>> The 229 isn't that great a 'case, it was a full-time 4x4 deal with lockable center-diff, and reputedly cranky.

I know a 229 isnt that great in offroading,but this is mostly a snow car,and the slip center is good on the highway and being lockable
makes it good off the highway when needed.But still,even tho they arent that great,the only one i found,which wasnt near me,was 500.00.I that thats way to much

>> The 208 has all of the features your looking for
I really dont care if it is select trac or command trac,long as it has low range,any low range is enough for what i want,and is locable.
The 128 in my eagle hasnt a low range at all,and the center clutches are crap,get the rear wheels on ice and front on snow or pavement,and it will sit and spin the rear wheels aand the clutches will slip and the fronts wont pull.Its a bad setup unless all wheels have the same traction or same lack of traction.Also if one end gets a wheel off the ground,the other end wont pull at all.Even for the light offroading i do,its worthless.

. A 231 will work for you as well (provided it is a '90 or older so it has the 23-spline input shaft) with a
Slip-Yoke-Eliminator kit on it.
I wouldnt need a sy-eliminator kit,i could just adapt my driveshaft,it is no big deal for mostly a daily driver,sure isnt a rock crawler and i have a lot of driveshaft length,isnt like a short CJ

>>The 231 is physically smaller than the 208, so it may be a better fit;
I dunno,that NP128 in my car now is no little case due to the center clutch/spider setup,i dont think size would matter,i saw a XJ NP207
and my case is way way bigger than the 207,fact it is the same average size a a alum. NP in a 91 F-150

>> A 242 would be very nice in an Eagle
(SX2 or 4?
No mine is a 4 dr sedan, 258 auto, dana 30 front-dana 35 rear

>> it has 2wd, 4wd, full-time 4x4, and 4-low (and the shift pattern is straight-back.) You can
find the 242 in XJ Classic (optional) and Limiteds (standard) as the "Select-Trac" since '87, and it's the
base-line 'case for 6-cyl ZJs

Yes the 242 sounds good and your info has helped,thanks. The main problem so far is that when i try to go to a yard,and am sure of what comes in what,they have no idea of what i am talking about,and getting harder to find the yards that let you scrounge.But,not giving up.

To anyone else here that reads this and may have a good used swapped out 229 or anything that can go behind a 999,has 23 splines
low lock- hi lock-neutral and 2x and is drivers side drop,and doesnt want a fortune for it you can email me at [email protected],see i am not made of money
and you know how tough thaT makes upgrades,and a case will be bought from tax refund,i am just shopping early before i spend it all
thanks again for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode